Railroad Forums 

• NS to rebuild LV in New York?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#521438  by Lehighrrgreg

Matt, you are right, although minor adjustment to the points..the R&N owns from Mehoopany to M&H Jct. The Allentown-Buffalo job leaves Allentown and stays on the NS side between Lehighton and M&H Jct. up through the gorge..usually...RBMN owns the adjacent track from Lehighton to M&H so sometimes they pass trains in this area. Then from M&H (RBMN has CP Independence right next to the NS M&H interlocking) it takes the RN to Dupont Jct. where it leaves the LV again and takes the Dumb and Hungry up to Binghamton where it waits 3 hours for the yard jobs to figure things out...and gets recrewed for its run across the Tier and up to Buffalo.
 #521750  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the corrections, Greg. I'm surprised NS doesn't get trackage rights on RBMN to use the "Snake Path" (ex-LV) between the greater Wilkes-Barre area and Sayre to avoid the delays on CP.

#521773  by Lehighrrgreg

Matt,

That would be such a fantastic move on NS's part to route up through there. The Vosburg tunnel is the scapegoat that officials quote quite often as the primary reason when I ask, but I have my doubts because I worked the Binghamton-Allentown job for several months and I never had any hi-cube or high and wide in my train so who knows. When the D&H flooded a few years ago we took some CP trains down through there from Corning or Elmira and RBMN took over at Mehoopany and I assumed they would see how well these things ran. I assume its all based on agreements and things. The line between Sayre and Mehoopany is actually all really decent..currently its just a branch line so obviously its not going to be perfect but its all river grade and 136 lb rail but the tie base shows its age which is probably the reason for some of the slow orders.