Railroad Forums 

• Bringing LV equipment to Victor Rail Days...

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#535370  by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:Scotty - Sad to see a LV relic rust like that. by the looks of it, its close to nothing for preserveable. It would require much work, and the main question is: wheres the money gonna come from. It would be nice to restore such item to charter it for private use on LV excursion runs, but with a car like that, i can estimate: about $17,000+ for restoration, add the moving costs - probably another $3200, plus maitenence, and it just goes from there. Unless it was privately purchased, then were SOL.
Sometimes the realworld stinks dont it?
haha
Cheers.
Sean
actually it looks ok to me!
its just a lot of rust..surface rust isnt a big deal.
(unless its really eaten deep into the metal)
just needs some grinding off of rust and some new paint..
I doubt that will cost $17,000!

sure, it wont be in "operating condition"..but for a display caboose, it doesnt have to be pristine..

A note on Roger Kirkpatrick's caboose list says:
Manchester, NY, LV 95100, as CR 18632, steel, cupola, built 2/41, Class N5G, old School, Rt. 21, from Avis, PA, GOING TO new Mall?
new mall??
I have no idea what that could mean..
Eastview mall did a big expansion recently, so part of that mall is "new"..but I highly doubt there are/were any plans to place it there..
I cant imagine any other "new mall" planned for the area..

There was talk a few years back of putting a small train on display at the new "linear park" in Mendon..
Mendon has a park on the section of LV ROW right in the middle of town..
I think I read somewhere that the LV caboose was maybe intended for that..but im not sure.

Scot
 #536057  by kemay59

The two cabooses stored behind the old school building on Route 21 in Manchester are owned by local developer Marty McMillan. According to local sources, the cabooses were going to be put on display in a mini-mall to be built on the corner of Routes 21 and 96. Construction plans have been on hold for a couple of years now.
 #971380  by Otto Vondrak

kemay59 wrote:The two cabooses stored behind the old school building on Route 21 in Manchester are owned by local developer Marty McMillan. According to local sources, the cabooses were going to be put on display in a mini-mall to be built on the corner of Routes 21 and 96. Construction plans have been on hold for a couple of years now.
The two cabooses were trucked out this morning, destination unknown.