Railroad Forums 

• Hammerhead Alco RS3 211

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#466889  by Trackbolt

I am getting into this discussion kind of late but I have come to the conclusion that the RS3m's were a page in railroad history worth keeping. Conrail did what they could with limited resources in the early days. Look what Santa Fe did to their legions of F-7's with the CF-7. The fact that the dependable parts available EMD 567-12 diesel engine in the Alco is the reason the locomotive is still operating today. It could have been scrapped and who knows maybe someone would have used the recycled steel to build a EMD SD-40-2 back in the day. The locomotive is still with us and I guess it could be converted to 244 power.

Trackbolt
 #466930  by jr

From my perspective, the 211 provides the best of both worlds. I'm old enough to remember some Alcos in road service, as well as many first generation EMDs.

With 211, you get the visual experience of (mostly) Alco lines. Then close your eyes, and the 12-567B provides you with the sound of half an E-8.

On behalf of the Chapter, Thank you Ray! And thanks to any other folks who have been kind enough to donate funds to keep 211 going. Even "minor" day-to-day upkeep and maintenance, not to mention fuel, adds up to a staggering number of dollars. Thanks again.

JR

#469121  by conrail71

I must have read the article in the newest TRP issue #75 about 8 times at work this weekend!!! It gave me some great info on my favorite locomotive at the RGVRRM, LV 211!!! If you haven't seen it yet, find a copy you won't be disappointed! They should have made it a few pages longer IMHO. If you can't find it they can also be bought on-line...

http://www.alco628.com

Mike

#470205  by Otto Vondrak

I just picked up the issue of TRP with the LV 211 article... it was a great article, I only wish Mr. Bednar had given more mention to the fact that LV 211 is alive and well at our museum... so many things we read about in the pages of railfan mags have been cut up and turned into Toyotas a long time ago, I thought he would make a bigger deal that you can still witness 211 in working condition...

...thanks to everyone who has made a donation to keep her that way!!

-=otto-
member Rochester Chapter NRHS