• Lehigh LIVES!

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by 56-57

Very cool!

You can read LEHIGH VALLEY on some of those hoppers, even though they are conrail grey now. If you can get close enough to get a look (and not get arrested!)

I think Lehighton should get some LV equipment, like Sayre, and show some pride in its' past.

Mike
  by Lehighrrgreg

I would have to agree, its very rewarding to save these things and beneficial to all involved(donor and recipient). Maybe a not for profit could be started, specifically to save these things and distribute them to the communities who wouldnt necessarily have the where with all to go out, find and retrieve these.

by NYSW3614

Its too bad the LV, EL, etc doesn't have a group like the Reading Tech. Society.
  by Franklin Gowen

They already do have such a group devoted to them: the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society!

ARHS can be found at http://arhs.railfan.net/ .
  by Lehighrrgreg

The Lehigh seems to be alive in many other ways as well......

More good news!!!

The renovation teams are almost all set up and ready to go outside the Sayre station. Construction, rehabilitation and renovation on the exterior of the Sayre passenger station will begin the morning of the 14th of June!!!

To commemorate this long awaited event, the Sayre Historical Society is holding a History Fair on Saturday, June 19th in the Sayre Passenger Station from 1- 4pm with no admission. You will be able to get a glimpse of the building up close right as the transformation begins to take shape as well as see some of the treasures of the former Valley Railroad Museum's collection, recently returned to Sayre and other great things added to collection of Historical Society by the many outstanding supporters in the Sayre area. These will all be on display within the building. Many other folks will also have their personal historical collections on display, including myself.

This is your excuse to make the pilgrimage!

If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]
or call 1 607 425 5744

Hope to see you there!

by NYSW3614

Yes, I was aware of the ARHS but they don't come close to owning/preserving a comprehensive collection of one specific railroad such as the Reading Society does.

I may have to visit Sayre this weekend! Thanks for the info Greg.
  by Lehighrrgreg

On the note of Lehigh Lives.....

A huge breath of life has been sent to the Sayre Yards this summer by the state of NEW YORK> NY is paying NS to tear out all the old outbound storage tracks they own by GE along Lehigh Ave. to build a state of the art section of trackage to store 524/525 coal empty and coal full for Milliken. Gang Mills is losing some tracks to the I-86 project and the storage and set out for these coal cars will be transferred to Sayre.
Greg

by joshuahouse

Is THAT whats going on in gang mills? I knew there was construction going on other then the obvious stuff with the interstate on the river side of the yard, but i had no idea it was that drastic.

by scottychaos

wow! NEW track being built in the Sayre yard?!
thats amazing! :)who would have ever thought that would ever happen? :P
  by thannon

I had wondered- but figured that was what was going on back in July:

Tom H>
Lehighrrgreg wrote:On the note of Lehigh Lives.....

A huge breath of life has been sent to the Sayre Yards this summer by the state of NEW YORK> NY is paying NS to tear out all the old outbound storage tracks they own by GE along Lehigh Ave. to build a state of the art section of trackage to store 524/525 coal empty and coal full for Milliken. Gang Mills is losing some tracks to the I-86 project and the storage and set out for these coal cars will be transferred to Sayre.
Greg