Railroad Forums 

• Mike Bednar hospitalized, now recovering from stroke

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#300770  by TB Diamond

Received word from Mike today that he has thrown his cane away. He is getting speech therapy and is doing very well. He plans to go back to work when he can.

#300924  by metman499

That's great news. Speedy recovery Mike.

#318235  by charlie6017

Any new news on Mike in his recovery? Hoping he's still coming along......... :wink:

#318280  by GOLDEN-ARM

Will find out shortly, waiting to hear from "LV-2", with an update......... :wink:

#318345  by Aji-tater

Does "NE-1" know, LOL?
 #319785  by geep39

I saw and talked to Mike at the First Frost Train Meet on Sunday, Nov. 12. Imagine that! He limps around a little bit, but looks pretty good, of course I made sure to tell him it was good to see him, and, like Mike, said: "Good to see you too!". Of course, I wished him well.

On another note, on one of Mark I's new DVD's, "Lehigh Valley Railfan Adventures" (Vol. 1,2,3), there is a shot from R tower of orders being handed up to a crew by an operator, and after he was done, salutes the camera man. What a ham! I'm pretty sure it was MIke. BTW, those are FABULOUS DVD's, with lots of Alcos and LV action.
 #320131  by jwchenard

I'm considering being in the LV weekend after Thanksgvg. I'm a fan of the LV and have railfaned the area on several occasions.

It struck me that if Mike Bednar is convalescing and has adequately recovered, he might be available for hire as a historical LV RR guide? If one of you is familar enough with him to comment, can you please advise if he's in good enough health to be out for a day (in the Allentown area), and whether he'd be ammenable to being hired for a reasonable sum for this?

Even further, if the answer is "yes", mite it be possible to contact him?

Thanks. Jason 207 284 1763 [email protected]

#321854  by GOLDEN-ARM

Talked with LV-2 a little while ago. Mike is almost up to snuff. His numbness in his arm has gone, and he is recovering his speech. His mind is still like a damned computer, with stuff being recorded, and recovered, with the speed of a super-computer. He plans to return to work soon, although I'm told it will most likely be on a "regular" yard type job, with regular hours, and regular days off. He will also resume his railroad stories, via TRP, where he is a contributing editor. Mike dodged a major bullet on this one, and he seems to be one of the lucky ones, with a very quick, and possibly full recovery, in store for him. (the Valley Gods must have put in a good word, for him) He is aware of all of you, who are pulling for him, and he is greatly moved, by all your thoughts. Regards.... :wink:

#322188  by charlie6017

Thnaks for the updates! I am looking forward to more of his contributions in TRP. I hope I can meet the man someday.

#331241  by IRN750

Yes Mike is alive. He was at my house today and he is doing well He wants me to tell everyone thanks for all the cards and well wishes he recieved after his stroke and he is looking forward to getting back to work sometime soon.
 #527950  by papa152

I have seen mike in jan and he seems to be doig better and well i had no idea what happened as i ws in germany at the time.was good to see hi again sean bednar