Railroad Forums 

• Mike Bednar hospitalized, now recovering from stroke

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#283961  by GOLDEN-ARM

Dave, on a sadder note, my son John called me last Friday night to tell me that Mike Bednar had a stroke at work last week. I believe it was last Wednesday. John called Mike to wish him happy birthday (because it's the same day as our daughter-in-law) and didn't get an answer. So he called Danny (Mike's brother). Danny didn't answer either, but called back later and left a message that Mike had a stroke. Mike had numbness in one of his arms and his speech is slurred. Danny said Mike was home but wasn't answering any calls. I'll let you know if I hear better news.

This news came from a good LV friend, and employee. Keep Mike in your thoughts, and my personal wishes to him, and his family, for a full recovery :(

#284251  by TB Diamond

My prayers are for Mike and his family. Have rarely known a kinder and more generous gentleman than Mike.

#284305  by scottychaos

get better soon Mike! :P

Scot

#284850  by GRSJr

Hope you get well soon, Mike.
 #285633  by Matt Langworthy

Get well soon, Mike. Your books, stories and pictures mean alot to me.
 #286021  by charlie6017

Matt Langworthy wrote:Get well soon, Mike. Your books, stories and pictures mean alot to me.
Same with me...............hope you get better, Mike!

#290062  by ANDY117

Who is this guy? A LV employee/railfan?

My thoughts go out to him and his family. Get well soon!

#290080  by GOLDEN-ARM

Who is Mike Bednar? Only the last great historian/employee, of the Valley. Mike, and his brothers, worked for, and documented, the end of service, during the final decade of service, with the Valley. An author of three Valley color picture books, a monthly article in The Railroad Press, supplier of pictures, anectodtes, stories and memorabilia, to other peoples books, and probably the single nicest, kindest and warm hearted railroader, to ever work a tower, on the Valley. You GOTTA have all three of those books, and get the back issues of TRP, if you want to know about the Valley, from early 60's, to the end. Mike was a towerman, block operator, train dispatcher, engineer, and road foreman of engines. He was still working, for the R&NRR, at the time of his stroke. Probably the single, most significant source, of Valley operating info, from his era.......

#290517  by TB Diamond

Additionally, Mike is Secretary/Treasurer for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Veterans' Association and serves as editior of their newsletter.

#290952  by Andyt293

Several years ago, I bought Mike's LV New York Division book and my buddy (a non-railfan) was giving me a hard time about the price and spending so much for a book. Then he started paging through, and his tune changed pretty quick.

Mike's eye for the events of the day is phenomenal. Although, I do not know him personally, I wish him all the best and hope for a speedy, uneventful recovery.

#291229  by charlie6017

Anyone have an update on Mike yet?

#291562  by GOLDEN-ARM

Update on Mike Bednar, from a few minutes ago. I just got a message, and here's the important bit:
"Danny informed him earlier this week that Mike coming along very well. The numbness in Mike's arm is gone and is going to therapy. Apparently Mike still has some speech problems but is answering the phone now. "
Slowly, but surely, Mike looks to be getting ahead of this.

#294378  by glennk419

That's great news. Our thoughts and prayers go out for a full recovery.

#296329  by GRSJr

Sounds like really good news. Go for it Mike. We all love you.

#296464  by jmp883

I've enjoyed Mike's work and always hoped he'd put together a book of his articles and photos. He writes in a style that makes you feel like you are in the tower next to him as he is pulling the levers.

I was sad to hear the news of his stroke but upon returning home from 2 weeks of vacation this evening I was glad to log onto Railroad.net and see that he's most definitely improving!

Hang in there Mike! Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery! :-D