Railroad Forums 

• LV 60 & LV 62

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#266794  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks, Scot, for keeping a Valley topic alive, on the Valley forum pages. Now, if I could only track down the LV 60, last seen alive, and well, in Morristown, NJ, in late 1983............... :(

#273850  by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Thanks, Scot, for keeping a Valley topic alive, on the Valley forum pages. Now, if I could only track down the LV 60, last seen alive, and well, in Morristown, NJ, in late 1983............... :(

GA,
are you sure that was the 60, and not the 62 in Morristown, NJ?
because I have 60 last seen in Canada,
and 62 last seen in NJ.

thanks,
Scot

#274317  by TB Diamond

LVRR GE 44T No. 60 was sold to Acton Limestone Quarry on 27 April 1964. Acton renamed Indusmin Industries Ltd. around 1970. No. 60 was thereafter moved to the Pinecrest, Ont. quarry. Unit has been scrapped. GE 44T No. 62 sold 04 Feb 1964 to Warner Sand & Gravel Co. Morrisville, PA. Repainted and renumbered Warner #12. Still at Warner as of late 1982. Final disposition?

#274353  by GOLDEN-ARM

Could be wrong, on my numbers, Scot. The LV 44 Tonner, was sent to the M&E railroads "National Locomotive Works", for a rebuild, and rewire job. The unfortunate part, is the loco was sold, to another buyer, without the owners permission, or knowledge. Several dealings like that one, plus a lucrative market is selling stolen track materials, landed the old management of the M&E RR (not to be confused with the M&E Ry.) in prison. I am trying to pick the minds, of a couple of guys, one a mechanic, the other a manager, about ANY recollections of where the loco went. If one was in NJ, and had some time, I would imagine the court proceedings of that trial, would be available, under the "FOIA", or might even be available as archives, in the Morris County Library system, or courthouse. While not a real "workhorse", those D-17000 powered 44 Tonners are a personal favorite, to operate. More personality than a 70 tonner, and the ability to run one, or both diesels, as needed. More info, if and when I locate it. BTW, the contact I have, as well as being a former employee, is a first class photographer, as well. Hoping a pic of a 44 Tonner, from that time frame, might be in his collection. A possible clue, in the tracking of this very significant engine. Regards :wink:

#275082  by GOLDEN-ARM

An update, after a conversation with an employee, who was in Mo'Town, when the LV 62 was there, in 1983. Here is what he relates, and it needs to be chased down, and verified, or discounted, as fact. He will provide pix, of the unit, as it appeared, before it "disappeared". His recollection was a green and white paint scheme being applied, before shipping. His words :
"It may have gone to the East Jersey Railroad & Terminal Co. in Bayonne to replace the one ..."
He is still working on verification, meanwhile, anyone know about this railroad, and it's roster in the mid 80's? Knocking off leads, one at a time........ :-D

#275096  by TB Diamond

Can verify the green and white paint as I had a 35mm color slide of this unit as Warner #12 in a green and white paint job circa the 1970s.

#275123  by GOLDEN-ARM

I have been searching through the pix, on "Fallen Flags", specifically looking for 44 tonners. An interesting spotting feature of the LV units, is the lack of shutters, on the nose, with intakes located on the side of the carbody, directly behind the nose. None of the 44 Tonners on the site, show a loco, with this style nose, excepting BR&W 7079, but that loco has ladders centered on the trucks, not on the corners, like a Valley engine. Still waiting for pix, from my "inside guy". :-D

#275354  by nydepot

LV 44-tonners were a very early phase, much like O&W ones. Most of the famous ones people see are phases III (maybe 2). Those are the classic radiators and grills people expect.

As far as 44 tonners on Fallen Flags. Many of the engines that look like 44 tonners, whether another weight or another builder, George has labeled as 44 tonner.

Charles

#275446  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, I noticed some discepencies, in those photos. (didn't know all those 44 Tonners were built with siderods....) George not at fault, though. He inserts the pix, as submitted, with info submitted. No way he has time to verify anything he posts. He will accept corrections though, if you can identify errors. Thank God for that early Phase, or we would be looking at just another ordiany 44 Tonner. Sure seems hard, to find one now, though..........

#281026  by David Hutchinson

I took a hot of a 44-tonner number 17 lettered for that East Jersey Terminal. The unit used to be parked along side the engine house. The shot is dated May 29, 1977. We used to go there every Sunday. Never knew what you would see.... N&W RS11s, LI C420s, N&W Alco S4 switchers, an Army MRSD-1 and other things. The Army unit would up being painted blue with a red stripe, outlined in white. Can't remember, but it might have went to the Winchester & Western. There was a rumor told to us by the shop personnel around that time of N&W Trainmasters coming in to be re-engined with Alco prime movers. I have shots of various units in primer and also being torched. They had 6 or more LI C420s that were at the engine house and also on a siding that is visible from Route 287.... forget the town name.
 #281287  by CAR_FLOATER

David -

You are talking about the M&E, right?

That siding you can see from 287 North is Cedar Knolls, right by the S. Jefferson Road crossing.

CF

#281340  by David Hutchinson

Yes, the M&E. They had a real nice wooden sign stating "National Locomotive Works" at the shop. There was always a lot of activity there.

#281341  by David Hutchinson

Yes, the M&E. They had a real nice wooden sign stating "National Locomotive Works" at the shop. There was always a lot of activity there.

#281605  by GOLDEN-ARM

National Locomotive Works, and the "old" M&E Railroad, were one and the same. Just an attempt to earn extra revenues, due to closure of the paper mills. Would have been a sweet idea, had they not fallen into the quagmire of theft, and transfer of property, etc........ Last known sighting of the LV 44 tonner, was at Morristown yard, being sent out, for interchange to.............................. :(
On another note, I have the only existing box of locomotive decals, for NLW, that were to be installed on their rebuilt locos. You might see them on eBay, from time to time.............. :wink:

#282400  by David Hutchinson

I think I remember seeing a low nose Alco RS-11 in red and blue lettered for National Locomotive...........