Railroad Forums 

• LV waterfront terminals in New York City

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

Re:

#554800  by CAR_FLOATER

Otto Vondrak wrote:The LV had land-locked waterfront terminal in the Bronx, in the shadow of the NYC's Harlem River Drawbridge. From what I understand, floats were brought all the way over from Jersey City. LV maintained a large warehouse inthe Bronx at the terminal, which I think survives today as a U-Haul warehouse. It's visible from the Metro-North trains as you cross the Harlem River. Either way, it sounds like operations wound down in the Bronx by the early 1970s.

http://www2pb.ip-soft.net/railinfo/car- ... t-ops.html

-otto-

Just to clear things up Otto, but I do belive you are thinking about the DL&W's Harlem Transfer. The LV (and Erie) were upriver at the 149th/145th St Bridge. The HT was practically right up against the old drawbridge (not the current one) See MRP 2007.

CF
 #555331  by CAR_FLOATER

Otto Vondrak wrote:You're right, I got my wired crossed again!!

-otto-
That's OK, Otto, happens to me more than I like to admit, too..........

I had referenced the thread while doing research on ANOTHER thread on Friday, and it stood out to me.....When it comesto NY Harbor pre-1976, and the LV in particular, I've got it covered, second only to Tom Flagg and friends, of course!

CF
 #556895  by CAR_FLOATER

Otto Vondrak wrote:When did that LV terminal close in the Bronx?

-otto-
Otto - The year was 1969. E. 149th St. was the last of the East River trunkline terminals to close. The Manhattan terminal at W. 27th St. closed in 1966. The warehouses built by the LV at both locations are the only visable remnants left today.

RAH/CF