Railroad Forums 

• Parlor/Observation Cars

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#215882  by clehman

I recently found a Web site containing consist information on L.V. passenger trains in the 1950s. I find consists very interesting; therefore, the ones for the 'The Black Diamond' and 'The John Wilkes' generated a couple of questions. The consists listed a parlor/observation car for each of these trains. I assume the passenger cars were the red with black trim, but am not sure these were still in-use in the '50s. Were the observation cars used on these trains in the '40s behind steam, and in the '50s behind diesel, round end or square end? Also, were the passenger cars on 4-wheel or 6-wheel (modernized heavyweights) trucks? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#215941  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey Carl, why not "share" that link, with the rest of us? Might help some of us "remember" the answers to your questions........ :wink:

#217032  by GRSJr

In 1947 thru 1951 when I rode the Valley regularly from S. Plainfield to Bethlehem, the cars were painted Cornell Red with Black roofs. The trains always had a diner and usually a club car at the end.

#217320  by clehman

Ray - do you remember if the observation cars were round ended?

#217331  by GOLDEN-ARM

I thought you might have found something "new". You're right, we have been living off that site, since it's inception. THE place to go, for all your Valley needs.......... :-D

#217363  by PRRGuy

Hold the phone! I remember a website that had one of those cars for sale. It was listed as Wabash "City Of Peru" and as an EX LV car.

#217464  by GRSJr

clehman wrote:Ray - do you remember if the observation cars were round ended?
Not the ones I remember. They were square in back with large windows. Often LV1551 thru LV1554 were on the train. They had been modernized with streamlined roofs by the '50s.

American Standard made a kit that was a dead ringer for these cars except for one small window on the left side. These were O scale cars and I've always regretted that I didn't spring for the $90 and get one.

I actually wrote the code to get a diamond-tipped PC-board mill to make the missing window, but like lots of projects, it got put on the back burner and eventually forgotten.