Railroad Forums 

• LV Pushers in WNY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#185435  by nydepot

How common was the use of pushers on the LV west of Manchester? I know there was a grade out of P&L and if salt traffic was high, I would expect a pusher. I've seen a few instances of pushers but wondered how common it really was.

Charlres

#185858  by FarmallBob

Charles –

As a frequent and regular observer of LV activity between Wadsworth and Caledonia from about 1960 thru the end of operations in ‘76, I never once saw a train operating with a pusher. And on the infrequent occasions I ventured west of P&L toward Leroy I never spotted a pusher - nor light engines returning eastbound.

So from my limited perspective it appears the use of pushers was not very common on this piece of the LV. …FB

#185868  by nydepot

Thanks, Bob.

Pushers came out of Buffalo and pushed back to Buffalo. I do have a few cases of pushers but not many. Obviously from your statements, it was not common at all.

Charles
 #186066  by TB Diamond

My observations of the LVRR Buffalo/NF-P&L Jct. 1969-76 duplicate those of FB. No doubt account expense involved, pushers were a very rare item on the extreme west end of the LVRR. Anyone have info on this from the steam era?