Railroad Forums 

• Sayre LV Station and LV U23B locomotive

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#14746  by Lehighrrgreg

Friends,
the Sayre Historical Society will be set up at the Ithaca Railfair this weekend (4/24-4/25) We will have some of our railroad items for sale that arent offered in the online giftshop at www.sayrehistorical.com and I will be there if you have any comments, questions, suggestions and/or ideas for the U23B locomotive project, LVRR Sayre Passenger Station Renovation...etc

Hopefully I will be behind our booth with a handfull of brochures instead of infront of others with handfulls of cash.

Greg

#17794  by scottychaos

Here is the webpage for the U-boat project!

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... -U23B.html

Any updates Greg?
how did the Ithaca show go?
(I was there! got to meet Greg and another member of the SHS, was nice to finally meet!)

Greg,
here is that photo of the Boxcar I was telling you about..
I think it was originally Green, and might have been repainted brown later.
(the blue smudge on the door is just a negative scratch.)
I dont know the exact date, but you might! :wink:
the original photo is probably with my photo albums at the museum!
and I always dated the back of all my photos, so you could check the date if you wanted to..
but the exact date isnt really important anyway.
I know the photo was 1983 or 1984..
I think there was lettering on the side that actually said something about it being owned by the museum!
unfortunately you cant quite make it out in my photo..
Scot

#18156  by Lehighrrgreg

Scot,

Thanks for the info, I am very intrigued by this. As soon as I get back in town, I will ask the VRRM people about it. If its still there, that would be great. Unfortunately, if it was..its most likely in the part of the yard that was severed by the Guthrie parking lot :( and after seeing what the Original Italian Grille went through to get their box car, it might be a lost cause :( although they could afford that move. I will also mention it to Mr. Haggerty of GE Rail, he would know better than anyone.

Here is an interesting update on the rolling stock project, the CVRHS has offered to place their Erie boxcar on loan with us. Their Stillwell coach is going to be moved Waverly on the Leprino spur. So our "full scale model railroad" has a GE U23B, a flat car, a N5G caboose and an Erie boxcar....donations are of course being accepted as this is going to be a monumental expense.

One more update-The bidding for exterior restoration on the passenger station went out and was over bid once again. Then a bureaucratic miracle occured, Penn Dot will grant an extra 90,000 to the funds and restoration is slated to begin sometime this summer!!!!

It was good to finally meet the famous Scot Lawrence

#18558  by scottychaos

Greg,
good news on the rolling stock front!
its cool the 2 historical socities can work together like that..
Why is the stillwell coach going to sit in Waverly?
whats the story there?

severed by the Guthrie parking lot?
what tracks were severed?
I cant think of any tracks that would have been effected by that big parking lot..
the tracks behind it (the western-most tracks in the yard, closest to the creek) are still be connected to the main yard down by the milltown bridge right??
but maybe im missing something..maybe we arent talking about the same parking lot..

let us know if you find out anything about the boxcar!
Scot
 #19167  by Lehighrrgreg

Friends,

It is with great pleasure that I inform you that the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation upgraded their grant offering by $90,000 enabling the Borough of Sayre to approve an exterior rehabilitation contract. Construction is to begin ASAP. The exterior overhang will be restored as well as the window frames and wooden supports, butresses and ornamentation. The slate building sills, window sills and door sils will be cleaned and restored. The bricks will all be cleaned, stripped and redone and a recreation of the original roof will be installed. The double doored addition on the south end will be removed and the hole inside, filled in. The fire escape will be removed and all of the patched up windows, door openings and doors that used to be windows, will be returned to their original designations.

WORK BEGINS ASAP!

http://www.sayrehistorical.com

#19199  by scottychaos

Greg,
thats great news!! :P
wow, the station is going to look really great when this is all done!
(and I am SOOOOOO happy that side entrance is being taken out!!)

I guess the new internal staircase makes the fire escape unnecessary?
I will be kinda sad to see that go! I spent so much time on it photographing trains..but..it will look nice with it gone!

(for everyone's information.. originally, there was only one staircase in the building connecting the first & second floors,the staircase on the North end..then the fire escape was built on the south end sometime in the early 70's? or early Conrail maybe?
Then a second internal staircase was built in the early 80's..on the south end, basically right where the fire escape is...so now the outside fire escape is probably not needed from a safety standpoint..)

Scot

#19640  by arnstg

How does funding go for the movement of the U-Boat to Sayre? Haven't seen an update in quite awhile. Seems to be stuck at $1K since March.
 #19780  by Lehighrrgreg

Funding for the U23B movement started off good and then dropped off. We are just under $1000 which is significantly less than the expected total costs of $5,000. Unfortunately our grant money wont be used for any of the U23B project so I set up a PayPal online donation feature on our website incase anyone wishes to donate to the project.
We have had a lot of good feedback about the project.

Things seem to really be coming together in most of our projects.

Thanks for your interest

http://www.sayrehistorical.com
 #19788  by Lehighrrgreg

Well I suppose if anyone wanted to make an offer on the fire escape and remove it, I suppose we could accomodate.

Greg

#19899  by joshuahouse

So this external restoration means the building will be less, well, purple? That is great news! Still I think I'll try to get down there to get one more of that funky color.
 #19907  by Lehighrrgreg

Joshua, you are correct. The building will be stripped of its purple blight. On a sad note, not only is that paint a terrible color, but over the last 10 years, it has sealed moisture in to the building sills and bricks from the base.. up about 5 feet....thus pulverizing them. A lot will have to be replaced as they turn into piles of fine silt on the ground when touched.

#19951  by scottychaos

The color was originally a nice deep red!
and like LV engines, it faded over the years to the purple of today..
it didnt originally look like that..
and it was painted almost 20 years ago!
around 85...maybe 86 at the latest..
the same year the packer ave. bridge was replaced.
(unless there was some painting done in the 90's I didnt know about)

is the top half of the track-side still unrepainted?
if so, the purple paint is from '85.
Scot

#19954  by scottychaos

yep..its the same paint!
its from the mid-80's..
19 or 20 years old..
(Greg, I really need to stop by the museum and get the actual dates for all my old photos! I hate not knowing exacly when these photos were taken! :wink: )

here is a shot when the paint was nice and new,
and a shot from last year..
wow, the green is totally gone!
and the second-floor of the side facing the tracks was never painted..
no idea how long its been since that recieved any paint!
definately not since Conrail!

Image[/url]