Railroad Forums 

• WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF THE HACK @ WEST PORTAL ?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#156520  by GOLDEN-ARM

I never thought to write it down, but when you are travelling westbound, on the LV @ West Portal, a few houses are on the north side of the ROW. One lucky guy had (has ?) a very nice LV hack, in his side yard. Probably visible from the little road, thet runs along the West Portal interlocking, before it veers north, and out towards Rt. 78, I used to enjoy seeing it, on my trips west, but I never recorded the number. I am trying to search for several specific cabs, and I was wondering if any Valley fans might know the number of this one. Any ideas, on the number ? Thanks... :wink:
 #157963  by IRN750

The LV caboose at West Portal was the 95099 and is still there painted red with no markings. On Conrail this was SA-35's caboose out of Browns Yard.

#158022  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks for the info. The hack must have come off before I was there (1988-1993), as it was already there, when I was running the Lehigh line. If I recall, we also had a hack, or two, working out of Browns, but they were a PC "transfer" hack, and a Conrail hack, purchased after the mergers. (kind of like a transfer hack, but with a bigger box-body, and regular sized platforms) thanks again, regards :wink: