Railroad Forums 

• DeRuyter Val Map - info needed

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1345568  by Cactus Jack

Does anyone have access to a Val Map of DeRuyter on the Cortland - Canastota line ?

I am curious as to if there is information related to the actual dimensions of the depot and freight house.

Also as to the end of track on the old NY&OM tail track.

Thanks
 #1345736  by Cactus Jack

Yeah Russ, I agree ! Never seem to have the Val Map sections I want. There is so much information contained in them.

What I am trying to determine is the size of the DeRuyter Freighthouse building attributed to the NY&OM.

Contemporary newspaper accounts claim it was a 25 x 40 structure. Looking at google earth I might consider it to be 40' but it is hard to tell due to roof overhang the width. I drove by there on Sunday but there were a number of unsavory characters there that were not encouraging my curiosity to actually put a tape measure to the building.

Also, the papers may or may not have reported accurately the original size as built.

Bottom line, I am trying to find a way to either prove or disprove that the structure was actually built by NY&OM.

I suspect it was, but not sure yet how to prove it for sure.
 #1345882  by RussNelson

https://www.flickr.com/photos/russnelson/5391642569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/russnelson/5391641281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Couldn't you look at the bricks, assume a standard brick size, then transfer that to the battens and count them to get your building width?
 #1345893  by Cactus Jack

Russ,

Pretty clever ... trying that this morning - thanks for the picture link.

I still would like to get some more historical detail to be conclusive for sure.

Doug
 #1346064  by lvrr325

Somewhere I had a big, original, LVRR blueprint map of DeRuyter including the stub of NY&OM track. I used to copy the maps and sell them on eBay. I'm not sure just where they are now, though.

It was like 1"-100' scale and mostly to show property lines.

The O&W track split and went to the south a bit, before the LV swung north.

I thought most of the structures on the line between there and Cortland were NY&OM.