Railroad Forums 

• Sayre Shop

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1172623  by scottychaos

Thanks for the update TB!
I was never aware anyone actually worked on passenger cars inside the shop in the early 80's..
good to know..
That Amtrak car I photographed must have been the last remaining relic of that operation then..

1981 to 1983 was *just* before my time..
I first picked up a camera and took a photo of a train in Sayre in 1983! ;) when I was 14..

1983 to 1989 I was around the Sayre yard pretty much every day! ;) (at the museum in the Sayre station)
But anything that happened before 1983 I never personally witnessed..

thanks,
Scot
 #1173344  by TB Diamond

Scott:

You are most welcome. I was handicapped in keeping up with events in Sayre after the fall of 1978 account moving to the west for a position with BN. Did explore Sayre each and every time I came back east on vacation, however.

A EMD SW1 was stored in the shop back in the fall of 1981. The unit was painted red primer coat and was lettered N.A.E.X. The unit number was 25. This unit appeared to be a ex-CNW loco but I could well be wrong about that. By May, 1984 this unit was being utilized at the car repair facility in Sayre. By October of that year the unit was not to be seen and the car repair facility was utilizing RE 503, another SW1 painted yellow.

Appears that Anbel went out of business rather quickly. Yes, those ex-Amtrak cars stored in the shop in 1983 were left over from the work Anbel had been performing.
 #1193235  by Richard1

The Sayre shops actually go way back before most people are generally aware:

Athens Gazette
Thursday, December 16, 1880

Opening of the Machine Shops - Fully
400 People Present
____
By invitation, we had the pleasure of being present at the opening of the long talked of machine and car shops of the Pa. & N.Y. R.R. at Sayre, Pa., on Saturday last.
For long years these shops have been talked of, and many, not vein particularly interested in the prosperity of Sayre, have intimated that the people would never realize their expectations.
You can't blame them for feeling happy and smiling "all over" as they walked through the shop and beheld the glittering machinery.
At precisely three o'clock, the time for starting, a loud blast of the whistle was given, and in the presence of fully four hundred ladies and gentlemen steam was admitted to the engine for the first time, by Supt. R.A. Packer, when instantly the hum of machinery was heard throughout the shop, as the engine and all the connections worked with the smoothness and regularity of clock work.
As one gentleman, who has large interests at Sayre, was looking very at the moving machinery, remarked, "It took time, but the shops are here."
After everything in the machine shop was fully in motion, and the people had given it their attention, Asst. Supt. R.F. Goodman turned the steam on the engine in the blacksmith shop, and all was in motion.
The following outline description may not be out of place:
Size of main building, 268x124. Pits for eleven locomotives at one time. Track and shop turn-tables in the most improved and substantial styles. Main shaft the entire length of the building. The roof of this building is double supported through the centre with massive iron columns.
Blacksmith shop 124x64, fitted for eight forges, with power blast.
Boiler room, used for wood work at present, 124x74.
Boiler and engine room annexed to main building all of brick.
The engine for the main work, one hundred horse power, glance wheel 12 feet in diameter, 27 inch face, cast in one piece, manufactured at the People's Works, Philadelphia.
We notice new tools just set up: 6 lathes of the most improved patterns - 36 inch swing by 16 foot bed, 22-inch swing by 12 foot bed; 17-inch swing by 8 for bed; 16-inch swing by 7-foot bed; 16-inch swing by 5-foot bed; and one axle lathe.
Two new planers, one 30x30 and 10-foot bed, and one 20x20 with 5-foot bed.
One new bolt machine.
One slotting machine, weight 2 1/2 tons.
One hydrostatic power press, large enough for the largest drive wheels.
One shears and punch, weight 2 1/2 tons.
One 10-foot bed pattern lathe.
There is also a large number of small tools, that we have not space to mention.
All the tools and machinery of the Junction shops will be moved down and set up within a short time.
The first order for new machinery, outside of the boiler and engines, was $40,000. Additional orders made the sum much larger.
The plans are already made for still larger buildings, for wood work, which will probably be put up the coming season.
The buildings have been erected under the supervision of Asst. Supt. R.F. Goodman, and reflect great credit on his management.
The machinery was erected and will be under the charge of, J.N. Weaver, master mechanic, who has shown much ability in the manner in which he has prepared for action, and who is certainly the right man in the right place.
Among those present we noticed Mrs. R.A. Packer, Mrs. R.F. Godman, Mr. and Mrs. Howard Elmer, Rev. Mr. and Mrs. G.F. Rosenmuller, Mr. and Mrs. H.W. Thomas, Hiram Thomas, R.A. Elmer, James J. Murray, H.G. Spaulding, that good looking and obliging postmaster at Sayre, Ira L. Wales of the Waverly Review, R.M. Movey, J.B. Venable, who spared no pains in showing people around and making it pleasant for all concerned, and many other leading citizens of Waverly and Sayre.
The shops are a reality. How about the City of the Plains?