Railroad Forums 

• any RDG Blueliner electric MU cars out there?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#4468  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

An operating set around anywhere?

I know the Kutztown RR. has a set use just as pass. cars same with the RCT&HS...

Thanks.

#4976  by geep39

Actually, RCT&HS has one bluebird that will not be modified into a coach, and will be preserved as an MU. The ones that were de-motored and de-pantographed are those that were later refurbished by SEPTA

#70662  by jfrey40535

The PA museum in Strasburg has one that looks pretty original. Its Green.

#71045  by glennk419

The original RCT&HS MU is car number 863. It was never modernized by Septa and operated in Olive paint for its' entire career. Reading MU 800 was the class unit for the 1931 cars and also retains its' as-delivered appearance at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg. Besides the cars in Kutztown, there are several other Blueliners (most in Septa circus paint) at Leesport (obtained later by RCT&HS) and a few in Jim Thorpe and on the West Chester RR. There is also one car at Wayne Junction still in blue paint that is used as a storage locker and the recently retired Septa wire train car which just went to the New Hope & Ivyland RR. Although several can be found roaming the rails as tourist train coaches, none were maintained as serviceable MU's.

#90538  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Ive been out of the loop of forums, Thanks for the info!
 #97128  by geep39

It is correct that 863 was never rebuilt, and is in original configuration--with some exception. SEPTA, when they donated the car to RCT&HS, wanted some parts off, such as brake gear.

There is ANOTHER blueliner in original configuration that wasn't converted to a coach by RCT&HS, and it will probably be preserved as such.

All of RCT&HS' cars were purchased directly from SEPTA.

The West Chester RR group got at least one blueliner that may have motors in it, but it hasn't operated in years-- don't know if it's serviceable.

NH&I paid an atrocious amount for the wire train car that they just got recently. It does have a functional control stand that may be of use in push-pull type operations
 #110037  by limejuice

geep39 wrote:NH&I paid an atrocious amount for the wire train car that they just got recently. It does have a functional control stand that may be of use in push-pull type operations
$300 is atrocious?
 #110285  by geep39

It must have been "roundhouse talk" that I heard. My SEPTA friend says that there was at least another zero thrown in to that figure. Hopefully, you are closer to the true source. :wink:

#143670  by Notch 8

The MU handles that I use everyday are former RDG handles. They are really old but still in great (and rust free) shape. I even have a nylon control plug, which might be even more rare than the MU's left themselves.