The P&R's first attempt at a suburban tank engine was in 1892 with a Baldwin-built 2-6-6T numbered 623, which was apparently unsuccessful and was rebuilt as a conventional 2-6-0 in 1900.
The ten Q1 2-6-4T's, #376-385, also Baldwin products, followed in 1903-04 and were more successful. They were used primarily on the Chestnut Hill branch, but basically were well-suited to any short-distance suburban runs. The first six were classed as Q1-a and the balance were Q1-b's, the difference being primarily in weights. Their original Stephenson slide-valve gears were replaced with Walshaerts gear in 1921, when the were reclassed as Q1-c and Q1-d. As with most Reading steam power, they had Wootten fireboxes. Electrification of the suburban lines in 1931-33 put them out to pasture and all were scrapped between 1930 and 1936.