Railroad Forums 

• ex-CNJ cab control cars

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#859353  by Otto Vondrak

Shot an ex-CNJ cab control car on the White River Flyer on Sunday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/5072424756/

Was wondering when these cars were retired? Did any operate during the NJT era? Apologies for the crummy photo quality. Maybe my next phone will have a better camera. Scratch that, maybe my next camera will have a better phone!
 #859374  by JLo

I have to admit that I never recall seeing them on the ex NY&LB, but my memories only begin around 1968.
 #859423  by CNJGeep

IIRC, they only operated on The Crusader a few times, other than that, nil, only Raritan trains.
I believe you have a picture of the only operational one left.
 #859427  by Tadman

Great shot, Otto. I think these are the original push-pull train car. I also think Reading & Northern has a few, although none are in cab-car config, just from the same build period of Reading stock.
 #859457  by R36 Combine Coach

They were often used with the GP40Ps for years. Not sure if any lasted into the NJT era (post 1981), but the NYLB and RVL did use traditional coaches until the new Comet IIs and F40s began service in 1982.
 #859743  by MickD

They also used them on the Bayonne trains.
First shuttle I ever rode from Elizabeth to 8th Street
had one.
Last edited by MickD on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #859782  by peanut1

Can some post the photo to the forum? My computer is being retarded and won't let me view the photo.
 #860003  by wolfboy8171981

Although not the same. Back in the early 80's the BR&W converted one of there ex-CNJ coaches to a cab car painted it red and paired it with PRR doodlebug #4666. The car was sold for scrap in 2005.
 #860190  by Port Jervis

MickD wrote:They also used them on the Bayonne trains.
had one.
I know this is probably not thread applicable, but during the Bayonne scoot era, did passengers from Bayonne headed for NY have to transfer all the way in Cranford for an RVL train to Newark (and then transferring again), or could they simply transfer at Elizabeth?
 #860235  by Ken W2KB

Port Jervis wrote:
MickD wrote:They also used them on the Bayonne trains.
had one.
I know this is probably not thread applicable, but during the Bayonne scoot era, did passengers from Bayonne headed for NY have to transfer all the way in Cranford for an RVL train to Newark (and then transferring again), or could they simply transfer at Elizabeth?
They transferred at Elizabeth (had to buy a PRR ticket). Essentially no one did that trip. They would take either the Boulevard Bus to Journal Square or the Public Service express bus to Grove Street PATH.

The shuttles only used the push-pull (usually 2 cars) only when a RDC was not available. I was the last passenger to get off a shuttle at Bayonne East 33rd on that black Friday last run. Walked home after watching it depart west. That was a RDC train.
 #860431  by ajp31

R36 Combine Coach wrote:They were often used with the GP40Ps for years. Not sure if any lasted into the NJT era (post 1981), but the NYLB and RVL did use traditional coaches until the new Comet IIs and F40s began service in 1982.
I have photographs that my Dad took in 1980/1981 (I was 1 or 2) of these cars on the RVL, paired with GP40Ps that had been repainted in the NJT disco stripe scheme. Someday I'll get them scanned.... Whether any of those pictures are from after the actual "official" creation of NJT, I'm not sure. It seems that equipment began to be repainted while "NJDOT" was still the official service provider.