Railroad Forums 

• C&F Branch to Rittenhouse Gap/Seisholtzville

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#787388  by MrBill

I had the same problem for a while. Was really discouraged, but finally got it, so I'm sure you can too.
Over the Pa map, Zoom in on the town you're working on. Then go up to "select era" (pull down). select 1937-42, my favorite since it shows the old grades best. When the red dots appear, click on one for the area you want. You can then quick zoom (+) on the thumbnail to get your bearing, and then go back and scroll down within that window to pick a resolution to download. I go with high res. since the older pics are a bit fuzzy. Keep trying, you'll get it.
 #811096  by frankgaron2

Went out to Lockridge Furnace in Alburtis this past Saturday. Quite a bit to see of the C&F still. Following pics show the bridge over Swabia Creek, the cut near the weighmaster's house, and the trestle piers. They even had a narrow gauge line that ran through the furnace as well. Couldn't see any remnants of that, though. All in all, a great visit. Hope to go back when the museum is open.
 #811141  by jrevans

Great pictures, Frank.

I had a private email discussion about this part of the line last fall with somebody from the Lansdale Rails yahoo list. I live about five miles away from Bear Creek and took a few motorcycle rides up there when the foliage was gone, and it was possible to see where the ROW was in some places. I'll have to dig up that email discussion and see what I can post on here.

I took some pictures, but it's tough to see much from them.
 #811296  by frankgaron2

Hey, would love to see that discussion if you can find it. I live over in Breinigsville, just above 222. I followed the line by car this past Winter, and it was easy to follow for the most part. Would like to hike it sometime - there are parts of it marked no trespassing though. Must have been something to see back when it was in service!

Thanks again.

Frank
 #812320  by MrBill

Hey Frank, Nice Lockridge pics. According to 1937 aerials, a lot of that complex was still intact until then. Also, I saw and photographed something similar to that unloading area down near Emmaus about 10 years ago. Really odd set up that had half circle cut-outs in the base of the piers, straight underneath the overhead siding drops with set-in tracks through them, that could only accomodate maybe a low gondola for transferring ores to another area within the plant. I think I saw it still there in current satellite pics. I'll dig around when I can for those pics. -Bill