Railroad Forums 

• Reading Camelback traits?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#696223  by Richard Glueck

I recently purchased a live steam, 7.5" gauge, 1/8th scale, Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0. I am trying to improve her aesthetic appearance and am wondering if some information might trickle down here.

Railings - yellow? Rectangular number board - blue with gold numerals?
Cab interior - industrial green? Lettering - yellow/gold?
Window frames - green or red?
Cab roof - primer red?

Your best historical perspective is appreciated. Thank you.
 #701301  by Schuylkill Valley

Hi Rich,
Your in Luck! I own the compleat set of Reading Camelback prints for the A4a's 0-4-0 and yes Linn knows.
The prints I have are from Aug. 29,1905. The cab was comlpeatly made of White Oak wood. the windows were made of Cherry and the doors were made of White Pine.

The hand rails were painted Gloss white.
Cab interior was a called forests Green.
Roof was burgundy Red and tender decking too.
The letter and numbers on tender/cab were painted with the color Yellow

That's all I have other then the inside of the locomotive and both type of tenders and tender trucks.

have fun,
Len.
 #702590  by ex Budd man

How soon will Strasburgs camelback be back in steam? The first time I went to Strasburg (1970) it was already a static display. I would dearly love to see it run again (for the first time).
 #702977  by Richard Glueck

Some good information regarding the Camelback colors. Thank you! Anything about the rectangular numberboards? The A5's had both rectangular and round number plates.
 #710223  by Schuylkill Valley

When she came out of the Baldwin Shops they had a round plate , but Reading added the rectangular number Plate. The real Reading plate was scraped when the Iron Company took owner ship. The Bell was saved I know where the real bell is, My friend Ron owns it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-T6IsYrFA
Len.
 #710608  by Steam man

Richard Glueck wrote:I recently purchased a live steam, 7.5" gauge, 1/8th scale, Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0. I am trying to improve her aesthetic appearance and am wondering if some information might trickle down here.

Rectangular number board - blue with gold numerals?
Black number board with nickle plated numerals