• ex-RDG 7407 Paint Scheme, c. 1979

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by Beech Cricker

I have a friend working on an article who has a question about the former RDG 7407, a GP39-2. Was this unit still in RDG colors in 1979 (timeframe of his article) or had it been repainted by new owner D&H by then?

by Urban D Kaye

Great question...and being a RDG fan, I oughta know.

But all I can say is this... she was built as RDG #3407 in December 1974 (as part of an order of 20 units financed by Chessie System) and was sold in April 1976 and renumbered to D&H #7407.

From this photo link...
http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/images/dhr ... 407-01.jpg

...you can see that in 1977 she was still in RDG green & yellow, but that her black diamond had been patched with "The D&H". Sister unit D&H #7410 remained in this patched scheme into the mid-1980s. The unit passed into Guilford's hands when they assumed control of the D&H, and when CP took over, they didn't want the unit, so it returned to Chessie (which had since become CSX).

Unfortunately, I couldn't track down any pix from 1979...all images of her later schemes are dated in the 1980s.

-Urban

by TerryC

You mean Reading's last locomotive order was paid for by the Chessie System!!

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net

by Urban D Kaye

TerryC wrote:You mean Reading's last locomotive order was paid for by the Chessie System!!
Not entirely a shock, since the B&O had long had a relationship with the RDG, and Chessie may have wanted to keep the ailing anthracite road's corridor to north Jersey. Afterall, Chessie did propose buying out the RDG altogether. I s'pose if that had gone thru, they woulda gotten those engines back anyway.

Perhaps someone can shed more light on the topic.
-Urban
  by geep39

There is a lot of loose playing with words with respect to this topic! First of all, very few new locomotives are "sold" to a railroad. I find it very hard to believe that the 7400's were "bought" by Chessie System in the first place. Chessie did not have any other locomotives of this type on its roster, except for a few C&O GP-39's (not dash-2's). I believe the GP39-2's were leased or were acquired in an equipment trust from a bank or leasing company. (something that will require some research) In those days, a trust or lease was for 15 years, since that was the estimated life of a locomotive. When the trust expires, the railroad may acquire it(they were usually so shot, or obsolete,they were 'traded in" on new power), same as with a lease--the railroad has the option to buy, usually at a depreciated rate. There is turnabout here, since lessors may not offer the lessee to buy, since the lessor can re-lease "useful locomotives" to someone else. The GP39-2's were CONVEYED along with LV's GP38-2's, not sold, to make D&H competitive with newly-formed Conrail. Which, I think means that D&H took over the payments. When the lease ran out, which would have been in 1990, (I understand they were/are owned by a bank or lessor in NJ) the units were re-leased to CSX, who was looking for good used power at the time. As a side note, Guilford had to pony up and have one or two of the units repaired/rebuilt at Morrison-Knudsen in Mountaintop, PA, since they were wrecked badly.

In direct answer to the original question, it's best to check the Railpace and Extra 2200 south or other magazines of that era to determine if the unit was still in green.

by Urban D Kaye

Apologies for any inaccuracies. The business aspects of how a loco changes hands really weren't my main concern. Was just trying to establish the loco's path and determine when it mighta been painted.

So, to prevent any further error on my part, I give you:

My source:
"In 1974 Chessie System financed the purchase of an order of 20 GP39-2s placed by the Reading Railroad, which took delivery of them in late 1974 and early 1975 as RDG 3401-3420. The D&H assumed the leases after Conrail Day One in Spring 1976. Guilford Industries inherited the units when they took control of the D&H in 1984, and thus did Canadian Pacific when they purchased the D&H. Four of the GP39-2s, 7401, 7403, 7407, and 7418, were rebuilt at the Morrison-Knudsen shops in Mountain Top PA during the Spring/Summer of 1990. The 15-year lease on the fleet ran out in 1990, and new D&H owner CP opted not to purchase them, so they went back to Chessie System that September."

Their source:
"GP39-2 text [above] by Brian Plant with additional notes supplied by Dave Shepperd, Rob Palmer, and the Railspot Locomotive Database search engine."

And the link:
http://knorek.com/RR/Ohio/Current/Newca ... SX4318.htm
-Urban

by geep39

Don't believe everything written by railfans! First problem: If the GP39-2's were PURCHASED by Chessie, why were the LEASES assumed by D&H in 1976? And, why wouldn't Chessie have assumed the leases at that time?

Another error: The GP39-2's were not renumbered in order by CSX! The 4318 is not the forner 3418/7418, but actually 3414/7414, according to the CSX renumbering as illustrated in Extra 2200 South. You can find the renumbering in the "surviving equipment" section of the RCT&HS website.
An illustration of how inconsistent the renumbering is: CSX 4308 was RDG 3420/D&H 7420.

Around the time the leases were expiring around 1990, they were owned by a bank in NJ

I'm willing to bet that they are leased from somebody. There is a way to find out, but it takes time.

Just 'cause these guys are prominent in the railfan arena doesn't mean that they're right. Some people like to "blow smoke", and not check the facts. Geez, I sound like John Kirkland! (check out his books, and you'll see what I mean)
  by geep39

According to a report in Extra 2200 South dated 9/80, 7407 was among units that had been painted into the solid blue with yellow nose that D&H started painting its Conrail hand-me-downs. The paint seemed not to last too long, since it seemed to practically wash off, or fade badly. When 7407 was conveyed to CSX around 1990, it was renumbered 4313, and appeared in the D&H blue and gray when conveyed.
  by Beech Cricker

geep39 wrote:According to a report in Extra 2200 South dated 9/80, 7407 was among units that had been painted into the solid blue with yellow nose that D&H started painting its Conrail hand-me-downs.
OK, seems pretty safe to assume then that this unit was still in its RDG colors in 1979. Thanks for the info.