Railroad Forums 

• RCT&HS GP-7 Arrives at new museum

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#503891  by RDG Diesel

The Ex RDG 621 has finally arrived at the RCT&HS new museum site in Hamburg PA. The plans for the unit are to eventually return it to service and restore it to its Reading Company colors. The museum will be open on Sundays in FEB with "Yard tours" to view the collection outside held all day long. Come check it out and enjoy.

Last edited by RDG Diesel on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

#509906  by uhaul

That is one of the least molested GP7s I have seen in a while. The current paint job doesn’t look half bad, however I am really looking forward to seeing this unit in Reading colors. I wish you good luck with working on the unit and now I want to come see it.

#509937  by RDG Diesel

You are correct the Ma&Pa did not make many modifications after the purchased it from the Reading Company in 1975. There are a few things that need to be fabricated and changed but the unit is basically 1953 when you look at it. If you are from out of the area plan on coming April 12th for the grand opening of the Museum in Hamburg there will be lots of activities and many displays to check out.

Last edited by RDG Diesel on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

#509944  by RDG Diesel

The fact that this engine is mostly original made it all the more reason to preserve it. Right down to the V16-567B Prime mover this Locomotive is most definitely a time machine to the dieselization of Americas Railroads in the 1950's.

Last edited by RDG Diesel on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

#511243  by uhaul

Thanks for the additional photographs. From what you typed the locomotive does, indeed, appear to be time capsule. You post said that the Reading sold this unit off in 1975. I did not know the Reading had sold off any of its Geeps.
In the bottom photograph there are two grates, but the one on the right appears to cover a hole. What are those grates and I am guessing that "hole" is an optical illusion?

#511470  by lvrr325

In fact, the RDG sold a number of it's GP7s in the 70's, along with some of it's RS2/3's. Smaller units, too.
 #511752  by geep39

The Reading sold off quite a few GP-7's. So much so, that the USRA, the people responsible for Conrail were concerned that so much was being sold off.
600-605, 610,611,617,619,661,664-666 were sold to ICG and rebuilt into Paducah geeps--who knows what pieces went where in that bunch

606,614 went to the StJ&LC, then to Hillsdale County, then to Indiana Northeast
607,618 to Central California Traction Co.
608 to Pittsburg & Shawmut--Wrecked
609, 613 to Sabine River & Northern (TX)
615 to Weyerhaeuser (WA)
616 to Atlanta & St Andrews Bay (FL) then South Central Florida
621 to Ma & Pa, now to RCT&HS :-)
So, there are a few still out there all over the country.

BTW to answer the previous post--Reading never had any Alco RS-2s

#511787  by limejuice

uhaul wrote:In the bottom photograph there are two grates, but the one on the right appears to cover a hole. What are those grates and I am guessing that "hole" is an optical illusion?
Those grates actually fold down so you can stand on them to do maintenance to the engine. I'm thinking what appears to be a hole is actually some cardboard or something stuck behind them.
 #513316  by RDG Diesel

I think I can answer your question about the grates.

Here you can see one of the grates in the locked position.

Next we lower the grate.

When the grate is down it acts as a working platform to work one the "Top Deck"

Cover lifted up

The reason you saw the cardboard is because the grate is a bit uncomfortable to lay on to inspect and maintain the crankcase.

A view of the inside.

Looking up.

When you take off the set of covers above the crankcase covers to open the air box you see something like this. This is a view of a Power Assembly you can see the piston rings through the air ports.

Looking down the Air Box

#517761  by uhaul

Thanks for that answer.

#517860  by RDG Diesel

No problem any other questions about the equipment Ill be glad to help.

#527012  by RDG Diesel

A Night Shot

with the hood doors closed

Short hood end

#536650  by uhaul

Thanks for the photos showing the Geep lit up like a Christmas Tree. Good to read about another Reading unit being preserved and keep us updated.
 #543501  by Mr GP10

Hi Fellas, Tom from NYC here. I was just curious what is going to happen to the GP-7? Is it able to run? Does any one have any videos of it in action? Many Thanks, Tom. :-)
 #543615  by RDG Diesel

The current status of the 1506 (621) is that it was stored serviceable in 1999 and has not seen active service since 1997. The unit does need a bit of odds and ends type projects done to it but as a whole it is in good shape. The 1506 will be returned to service as 1506 and go through a series of test runs to work out the mechanical bugs before being fully restored as RDG 621 much like GP-35 3640 is getting now. There is no time line for when any of the work will take place on the unit due to lack of funding and facilities, plus the main focus of the Restoration staff being on the completion of 3640 and the maintenance of the other locomotives that are in service. If you would like to make a donation to the RCT&HS to bring this unique piece of equipment back to life please include a note specifying that you want your donation to go toward the 621 restoration fund. Thank you for your interest and support for the RCT&HS and its projects.

This photo was taken on the 621's trip to Hamburg taken in Emmaus PA January 17th 2008
As for other photos or videos of this unit in service or in general I would also be very interested because when we restore equipment pictures play a pivotal role during the restoration process.

I Hope I helped you with your questions