Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Diner To Be Preserved

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#161254  by geep39

Here's the story. My brother is involved with this group, which is a spinoff of the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum that puts on the World War II weekend at the Reading Airport in June.

First of all, this is not a "dining car" in the railroad sense. It was built as a diner by the "Paterson Dining Car Company" or something like that, so I'm sure that's how the news types got it wrong. This thing was originally the "Reading Diner", and was built with an enclosure around it over the years, which essentially preserved it. This thing is like a trip into the past with all of its original fixtures, etc. in pretty good condition. This group has been able to get a number of people to donate their services, land, etc., to get this thing to a new site in the "Carsonia" section of Reading. my only concern is how they will preserve this thing so it doesn't deteriorate over the coming years.
 #161434  by geep39

The diner is a Jerry O'Mahoney "dining car" built in 1938. You can see the real story at www.archbury.org

#161623  by glennk419

Thanks for the clarification. I'm just hoping the "Steak and Bagel Train" still makes it back to Reading (Leesport).

#161636  by geep39

Glenn:
Yeah, I'm hoping to try to get the "Steak and Bagel Train" thing off dead center. While I think the RCT&HS has enough money in the passenger car fund to get the thing moved, there's always the unexpected (expense)
Plus, we have to settle things with the owner. My contact hasn't talked to him in a while.

All for now
Steve
 #181038  by Roundhouse Brat

I recall we had two of those in Bridgeport in the 40's. One was at the end of the Bridgeport side of the bridge over the Schuylkill to Norristown, Pa, called Danny's Diner, and the second was at the corner of 4th and Depot St. dba Bridgeport Diner. The Roundhouse gang, my Dad, included would walk to Danny's Diner at the bridge, which was not far from the RH for meals once in a while. The Yard Engine operators would also use a siding across from the Bridgeport Diner off Depot St. The field off that siding was a favorite cowboys/indians, and war playground for local kids. The crews from the Roundhouse knew I was Dan Delaney's son, he was a foreman at the RH. So, they would pull the switch engine up to the dead end of the spur. If I was around, they would pay me a nickle to make dure none of the kids got on it or into the cab. I'd pay them back all those nickles just to do that once more!