Railroad Forums 

• Allentown and Auburn railroad question

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1485651  by frankgaron2

It's a long shot but any chance anybody knows the exact route of the former Allentown and Auburn railroad west of Port Clinton and crosses the Schuylkill River and heads towards Auburn?

I've been able to trace it to the eastern bank of the Schuylkill River a few miles west of Port Clinton and from there it seems to vanish into thin air. I literally have no idea what the alignment would've been from there on into Auburn.

We've been able to field inspect most all of the line from Allentown to Auburn with the exception of the last mile or so. You'd be surprised at how much of the right-of-way there still is to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, maps, photos, you name it!

Thanks,

Frank
 #1494835  by choess

That's the PRR's Schuylkill Branch, not the Allentown Railroad. I vaguely recall that the P&R's ownership of the right-of-way came into play when the PRR was surveying through there, but I don't remember details or have maps.