Railroad Forums 

• Reading Terminal - 30 years after the last train

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1301793  by glennk419

Thirty years ago today we bid farewell to railroad operations from Reading Terminal. I rode out of Reading Terminal on a daily basis, including the last rush where we were given commemorative pins.The final train to leave the terminal that evening was a NRHS charter, appropriately operated with ex-RDG Blueliners.

On Saturday, November 3, 1984, I visited the terminal to take some final photos. The station staff graciously allowed me to explore the platforms and public areas, doubt that I would have that freedom today. Some of my shots from that day can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glennk419 ... 164609541/
 #1301909  by Franklin Gowen

Thank you, Glenn, for that bittersweet photo-based remembrance of what we have lost. Today is not a wholly enjoyable anniversary, but it is important that we remember the value - tangible and intangible alike - that Reading Terminal brought to both Philadelphia as well as the Reading Company (and before it, the P&R) for so many decades.
 #1414185  by carajul

What was SEPTA's take on the closing of the terminal. Didn't they realize that by building the new connection it would make the terminal obsolete? Was SEPTA just renting the terminal from the RDG Co at the time and then terminated the lease? I really enjoyed your c.1984 pictures. The terminal looks so run down and dirty and grimy.
 #1414190  by glennk419

carajul wrote:What was SEPTA's take on the closing of the terminal. Didn't they realize that by building the new connection it would make the terminal obsolete? Was SEPTA just renting the terminal from the RDG Co at the time and then terminated the lease? I really enjoyed your c.1984 pictures. The terminal looks so run down and dirty and grimy.
IIRC, the Reading Terminal trainshed, headhouse and 9th Street viaduct were still owned by the Reading Company ( by now a real estate corporation only ) right up til the end. SEPTA leased the station area. Given the impending opening of the CCCT and Market East station, the terminal was maintained to minimal standards in anticipation of its closing and inclusion into the Convention Center.