Railroad Forums 

• Reading Branch in Exton?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#7770  by brinbrin

I was looking at an old USGS map and it shows a branch (perhaps a mile or so long) coming off the old Reading Chester Valley Line in Exton (just west of where the Chester Valley Line crossed Route 30). It comes off the line and goes north, and appears to cross Route 30 exactly at the intersection of Route 30 and 100. The map is from about 1900. I've never even heard of a branch there. Of course, the way the area has grown, any trace of it is probably long gone. Can anyone shed any light on this. Thanks.

#7813  by choess

See this Mueller 1913 Atlas map which shows the branch. Apparently it served the "silica mine" (sand pit) of the West Whiteland Silica Co.

#7877  by Schuylkill Valley

That rail line was known as the Philadelphia & Chester Valley Railroad .
It was charted on April 15, 1835 to operate a line between Bridgeport on the main line-Reading branch to Downingtown (21.5 miles).

Stations along the way.

Bridgeport, Shainline( Rt. 202), Henderson, King of Prussia, Maple, New Centreville, Garden, Chesterbrook, Howellville, Paoli Road (Rt.401 ) , Cedar Hollow, Lees, Valley Store, Malins, Mill Lane, Planebrook, Exton ( Rt. 100) Ockland ( Rt.30 ) Ackworth, and Downingtown .

Len.

#7972  by brinbrin

Thanks Choess! The map cleared everything up.

#8351  by Urban D Kaye

Great map, choess.
I cross referenced with a current map...that parcel of land is now occupied by Holly Lane and the Apple Drive loop, off Shoen Rd near Rt 100. Anyone know what's there now? Apartments?

#62560  by NYSW3614

Apartments indeed- Whiteland West. I live there and work very close by. I'm sure they urban sprawl has removed all traces of the line.