Railroad Forums 

• Non-commuter Passenger Equipment

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1548273  by riffian

I have a few questions concerning reclining seat coaches and dining/cafe cars I hope someone on this list can answer.

Were all reclining seat coaches rebuilt and semi streamlined from regular Bethlehem commuter car fleet? If so, what year and how many? I have seen photos of the wide windowed cars with skirts, but also what appear to be regular commuter cars listed as with "reclining seats". The 1954 Reading passenger car roster from the Fallen Flags site lists only 5 reclining seat coaches, each with either 53 or 59 seats.

Restaurant or cafe cars 1186 to 1189 were heavy cars with six-wheel trucks, at least two of which still exist ( 1186, 1189). These cars seemed to have been lettered for the train they were assigned to, ie "Wall Street" "King Coal", etc. Any info on these cars would be greatly appreciated. They appear to be perhaps post war rebuilds and streamstyled. Were they only assigned to one train or did they make two round trips a day, for instance Philadelphia - Pottsville on the King Coal and Schuylkill which from 50's timetables appear was possible.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Bill Root
 #1575105  by JimBoylan

6 cars were available for the "Push - Pull" train into the late 1970s. Only 5 were streamlined with skirts. Was the 6th car one of the regular commuter cars listed as with "reclining seats"?