Railroad Forums 

• Locos behind shops 07-18-2011

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#953043  by atsf sp

I went by the yard today. It was nearly night so i couldnt see numbers but does anyone know what locos(I saw at least one GE non -7AB) behind the shop. also there was a GE -8 in the shops. Anyone know what numbers these were?
 #953092  by TOMT7X

2201, 2215 is behind the shops.. Inside the shops should be the 3901 and 3902. both OOS. 3901 blew her turbo when shoving an loaded ethanol train out of New London on Sunday afternoon. She is being evaluated in Worcester, so we are not sure what will happen.. .. .. 3902 has ground relay faults, still worked on.

There is talks of 2201 returning to service. They are discussing on "morphing" radiator/cooling system parts from the 2215 to the 2201. 2201's motor is healthy as a beast but just need some TLC in the radiator area.. 2215's components has been gutted.. cab signals removed, etc. Probably will be used as a parts unit, but who knows.

CR
 #953553  by jaymac

3901 brought WOGR into Gardner on 07-20-2011 and trailed 3909 on the return, so the shop crews must be really good and quick and/or the damage wasn't catastrophic.
 #953691  by atsf sp

The night I posted, 3901 was coupled to 3909 by the CSX bridge. Also 3902 was coupled to 2009 on RT 146. So it must have been a different GE in the shop.
 #957430  by 161pw165

Not to advocate for or steal info from other forums, but on Yahoo there are some good P&W groups that provide daily power assignments. That will give those intersted an indication of what is in and out of service on the road.
 #957906  by DutchRailnut

probably a leased ex MARK Gp40 from MBTA
 #965819  by daylight4449

TOMT7X wrote:2215's components has been gutted.. cab signals removed, etc. Probably will be used as a parts unit, but who knows.

CR
As of the 26th of August, the 2215 is in service. On my visit, 2201 was sitting OOS, and the 2215 was serving as the yard/interchange engine. Thanks to the kindness of one of the mechanics (a man named Thomas), and the persistence of one of my friends, I got a tour of the area around the shop, and got to see 2215's cab. It's different than the MBTA Commuter engine cab that I've been in (a family friend got me a chance to see the cab of one of the MK F40s for a weekend visit that I took about two years ago) in it feels more comfortable. It's small, but not so small you can't really breathe or move. It's just right for my taste
 #966027  by daylight4449

I'm in the process of putting copies of my pictures taken friday on my photobucket. Here's a link to the album. And, I didn't get the pics of 2215 on yet, but give me the time.
 #969453  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:The lower yard is completely flooded
Seems the water is still rising. I haven't been in the area since Tuesday, so I don't know how bad it is. I know the bridge near the Leicester Highway Department is nearly underwater, and it's been rising all day. I'm thinking one of the beaver dams by Henshaw Reservoir may have burst. I guess as long as everyone is Ok, then I have no need to worry.
 #1071570  by atsf sp

I drove by the shops again today and one of the BNSF paint B40-8Ws was behind the shops, any clue as to which unit this was?