Railroad Forums 

• SD60s on the P&W

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#969757  by DutchRailnut

from a competing railforum:

Re: P & W SD60's
Author: CR6444
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are to be used, originally to move heavy stone trains between New Haven to Long Island, but Metro-North declined them, as they are "too heavy" so they are still working on some issues. Now, they are assigned to move some ethanol loads between NECR-Willimantic, CT to Worcester. They have tested it once with 80 car loads, they passed with flying colors... Great pullers, too. As if theres no ethanol moves, they are primarily used as "road trains" between Worcester to Valley Falls. but cab signal issues have crept up on them.. They are still working on cab signal "bugs"..

CR
 #969890  by Reader#108

I have seen them regularly at the PW Shops here in Worcester....they are BIG...

they also seem to do the job without any problems....I was speaking to someone at the Union Station the other day and he said they were doing

well....
 #969934  by DutchRailnut

The E60's weight in at 389.500 Lbs same as SD60, but then the bridges are now 30 years older.
I believe MNCR is more concerened with Height of these units 16'2" as per EMD Specifications.
yes you can lower fans by few (maybe 4) inches and even horn , but your still at or exceeding the height of MNCR timetable which is 15' 6" with no exceptions.
 #1030976  by TOMT7X

Its on NR2 today heading for Metro-North for 2nd round of testing along the line..Possibly running CHFP with 9014 tonight...

Dave
 #1034099  by ebtmikado

Here's a shot of GMTX 9059 with a westbound train from Worcester to Willimantic at Packer Pond last Friday:

Lee
 #1044404  by MrGP10

I posted a sighting on the NYAR forums CHFP? 2 GEs with 1 blue and white engine. I thought it was a geep I guess not. They came down on Tuesday night I didn't have a chance to see how many cars it had. The SD wasn't leading it was sandwiched in between the 2 GEs.
 #1054326  by jwhite07

The online newsletter Canadian Railway Observations is reporting that 43 GMTX SD60s, including 9014 and 9059, have been acquired by Canadian National. Their stint on P&W was rather short!
 #1054629  by daylight4449

jwhite07 wrote:The online newsletter Canadian Railway Observations is reporting that 43 GMTX SD60s, including 9014 and 9059, have been acquired by Canadian National. Their stint on P&W was rather short!
Talk about wind out of your sails... I wonder, but how this would effect the lease agreement?
 #1055138  by cp8558

The newsletter you reference is incorrect. According to a correspondence posted to the STB website on March 24, 2012, the GMTX 9014 and GMTX 9059 are not included in the numbers being acquired by CN.

Here is the link if anyone is interested. It is a .pdf file

http://tinyurl.com/7t86p9q

Dave
jwhite07 wrote:The online newsletter Canadian Railway Observations is reporting that 43 GMTX SD60s, including 9014 and 9059, have been acquired by Canadian National. Their stint on P&W was rather short!
 #1055348  by jwhite07

Can't get much better clarification than that - unit by unit *and* the renumbering scheme! I for some reason cannot access CRO's website to look for a feedback link, but hopefully someone can correct them as well. Thank you for the information!
 #1064945  by DogBert

Last week I spotted one of these leading the stone train over hell gate. I'd imagine it has been properly equipped to lead on the corridor and thus will probably be around awhile.

Fits the pattern of the rest of the 'new' power that has come down to nyc - runs trailing for a few weeks and eventually gets equipped to lead.
 #1065025  by boatsmate

C ame ot the P&W equiped to lead.... MNR would not let them lead for a while.... but has always been equiped They run leading in RI Nall the time