Railroad Forums 

• Portland, CT = Midstate/Murphy Rd

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#932981  by Mr rt

Midstates scrap processing plant on Murphy Rd in Portland had the roof collapse in January.
Same thing happened to another firm next door to them.
Haven't seen any activity to clear the roof debris.
In addition the empty Gons in the Middletown yard have left town.
Am wondering if anyone knows the state of Midstates operation here.

If they close there will be almost no reason for P&W to cross the CT River via the swing bridge.
 #945748  by PWCTFAN

There is a zoning board meeting about what is going to be done about the site on July 16 2011. Since in my observations of P and W Midstate always seemed very active i would be suprised if they did not rebuild the facility.
 #949480  by rjones2

When was the last time there was activity over in Portland? Since Midstate has been out of service, have they been doing any kind of upkeep over there? I remember back when Smurfit Stone was a shipper, but they've been out for a few years now.

Does anyone have an idea in terms of costs/effort it takes to maintain the Portland swing bridge?
 #956906  by Mr rt

Did a drive by Mid-State on Saturday ... the entire collapsed building has been removed ... and ... about 1/2 dozen gons are on the Portland side of the river.
 #1001499  by rjones2

Went by the Midstate site on 12/23 and noticed two gondolas parked on the 3rd track. The Midstate building is gone, with only the concrete structure left. Also, there was some track that had been yanked out/fill that was being worked on. Anyone know more about this?
 #1001838  by bwparker1

Some people have posted some photos on the CTshortlines Yahoo group, but with no information about the customer... If it will be the same C&D operation, or something completely different. It should be interesting, glad to see that the swing bridge will continue to operate for making some $$$$ for P&W.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CTshortlines/

BWP
 #1016138  by Larry

I visited today the area in Portland where the new customer Red Technologies is going in. Trackwork is almost complete being done by Northern Rail and some by P&W. They should be finished in a few more days it looks like. In talking to a gentlemen from Northern Rail he told me that there maybe another customer coming on line as well in the spring. Lets hope so. P&W said this spring/summer they plan to retie some of the Middletown line. I took some pictures on my phone but need to learn how to download them for everyone.
 #1034933  by bwparker1

Update from the CTShortlines Yahoo Group:

"In Portland, nothing new has happened. There is a PW gondola in the siding at Red Transfer & Logistics, but I think its been there for a couple weeks now.

Adam Twombly"
 #1166886  by Larry

I went by this location yesterday (Portland) and the new siding has never been used it seems. Does anyone have any news on this? Shame all that work went in and nothing being shown for the effort.
 #1166890  by bwparker1

Larry wrote:I went by this location yesterday (Portland) and the new siding has never been used it seems. Does anyone have any news on this? Shame all that work went in and nothing being shown for the effort.
Definitely Too bad. I guess that means there is no business east of the river at this point and time. I wonder if/when the PWRR operates the swing bridge?
 #1172387  by FLRailFan1

I hope that the old Stone Container will be used and I hope to see more businesses around Portland. On my model Railroad (the Hop River) I have a brownstone mine, Cobalt boats (a dinghy company in Cobalt, CT) and 3 business in Hebron/Colchester, along with Stone Container and the industrial Park in Portland. I also have a branch going down Main St in East Hartford going to Pratt-Whitney.
 #1172677  by Mr rt

The East Hartford/P&W rail line ... are you using elect or diesel powered trolley ... or 44 tonners ?
FYI: A pair of those elect Box Cabs were converted to diesel power & saved at Warehouse Point Trolley museum.
Initially they were used to create power for the other trolleys.

Portland also had a trolley that ran down main street N/S and went to Middletown via the old swing bridge.