Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1261939  by DogBert

If true I guess they didn't like the slug concept. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 9&t=153410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wondering a few months back what they were going to do with the stone trains requiring so much power, and quite a bit of what they have it aging.

I'm a little surprised they're going for more GEs. Obviously they like them, but those sd60s seem to do quite well.

I don't recall them taking very long to get all the other 'new' power onto stone trains in the past. I've got photos of the B units in BN green, as well as the widecabs. Seems more likely that they'll be pressed into service as soon as they are equipped and cleared, and repainted later. Maybe next winter.
 #1261965  by Uncle Cheapo

DutchRailnut wrote:the C40-8 is to heavy and exceeds load limit for New Haven to New Rochelle, specially when coupled to another unit.
How did the E60 get around it, surely close to length and weight?
DogBert wrote:If true I guess they didn't like the slug concept. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 9&t=153410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wondering a few months back what they were going to do with the stone trains requiring so much power, and quite a bit of what they have it aging.

I'm a little surprised they're going for more GEs. Obviously they like them, but those sd60s seem to do quite well.

I don't recall them taking very long to get all the other 'new' power onto stone trains in the past. I've got photos of the B units in BN green, as well as the widecabs. Seems more likely that they'll be pressed into service as soon as they are equipped and cleared, and repainted later. Maybe next winter.
GEs are damn cheap and plentiful on the market. Not many spare SD 60/70 in the lease fleets. The "newer" EMD s are a little harder to come by. You would be really surprised what PW acquired the BNSF's for!
 #1262267  by CN9634

Not surprising at all. I'm sure P&W likes the SD60s but those units that aren't beat to death (see CN) are hard to come by. Although BNSF is getting rid of some of their SD60Ms, I'm sure after years of coal service those are just as beat as the Oakway ones. The C40-8 makes perfect sense are they have a parts source already available. Also, they probably like the 6 axles now that they've tried a few out. Wonder what will happen to the two CEFX SD40-2s they have right now that came in for work. Also, net weight isn't an issue, it's weight per axle. I suspect the C40-8 isn't too awful bad compared to a B40-8.
 #1262305  by DutchRailnut

On MN its not weight per axle but max total weight of any unit can not be more than 289 000 lbs, these are bridge restrictions on all of Mn.
Freight cars can be no more than 263 000 Lbs.
 #1264327  by MEC407

Someone on LocoNotes reported that P&W isn't getting the Dash 8-40Cs after all.
 #1265911  by DogBert

I'm sure this is feeding some rumors:
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 127066.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They'd be good replacements for the aged B units, and the CT->NYC stone traffic requires at least 4-6 locomotives 5 days a week (likely why the B's were stored for the winter). I haven't seen the b's in NYC for a long while - I'd imagine they don't want to run them on the heavily used commuter route.

I'd bet a nickel that if those ex UP units were on the way to P&W, CSX misrouted them back to Ohio.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know anything for sure, I'm just making guesses off what is known.
 #1265951  by DutchRailnut

photo caption is wrong, they came from LTEX
 #1266110  by DutchRailnut

probably, P&W may have to get walkway mounted HVAC units .
 #1340877  by lirrelectrician

Hello all,
I just read in Railpace that the P&W and the VRS are each getting two SD70-M-2s. These are the ex FEC units. I am wondering if this is in fact true or just another wild rumor.

Thanks in advance

Mike Scholz
 #1340999  by MEC407

People do call it RumorPace... :wink:

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me at all. VRS has played around with big SDs many times in the past, and recently P&W has done that as well, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch. We'll have to wait and see what happens!