Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1030579  by TOMT7X

DutchRailnut wrote:are the tilcon cars less than 263 000 lbs ?? or will they use idler or half loaded car ?
P&W are using the newer GATX/OGIX and some ex FEC Ortner hopper cars, which is less than 263K, but the Metro-North owned MNCW ballast hoppers are a little bigger than 263K as I am not sure, but the way it was pictured it looks a little more bigger than the old Conrail ballast cars. The Tilcon ones (heavily laden with gratiffiti) has been rolling thru some shops in Wauregan RIP track (next to Rawson's facility as I went by there last year where there are rows of rusty wheeled TLTX's parked there..) or Plainfield to do some repair work on its brake lines plus some flat wheels needs to be changed.

The SD60-B30-7B unit and SD60 configuration still remains.. so give it a little time..

The ex BNSF B40-8 582 is still in New Haven, tied down with her sisters, the 4005 is on the NR2 pool, still.. resting in Plainfield.. and the 562 is in Worcester getting ready for work, on WOGR-GRWO pool..

Dave
 #1031029  by MEC407

Folks, just a reminder: we have a thread to discuss the SD60s. Please discuss the SD60s in the SD60 thread and discuss the Dash 8-40BWs here. Thanks.
 #1152005  by scharnhorst

Dick H wrote:The 1855 belows to the Seaview Railroad at Davisville.
They are a major customer of the P&W. The locomotive
was probably at the P&W shop for some sort of repairs.
Here's a photo at Davisville:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20071 ... 5&BOOL=ALL
This maybe a bit old but the unit was acquired from the Finger Lakes Railway in Geneva, NY in 1998 and was numbered 1801 The units former Mountain Laurel Railroad #15 before that it worked for Illinois Central, Illinois Central Gulf, and Chesapeake & Ohio RR. The guys loved it when it first came on the property. Once the unit started to have issues that were higher than the cost of what they payed for it Finger Lakes sold the unit and made it aware that there were major Electrical issues with it. The unit ran fine if used as a single unit near the end of its service time on the FGLK. Crews reported that when run in with other units 1801 would shut down and shoot out electrical sparks from its open grid behind the cab.
 #1228588  by DogBert

I didn't see a thread for this so I thought I might start one...

This last week P&W had a leased P&L mother/slug set running on the stone train from CT to NYC - it got me wondering if perhaps they're not testing out for a possible replacement of the B-30 cabless GEs. Those engines are getting a bit old - though I have no inside info on how well they perform. Seems like they'd be up for replacing sometime soon. There's also a rumor that the stone train might run 5 or 6 days a week next year, which would probably require a bit more power.

Anyone have any good inside info on this?
 #1235500  by boatsmate

it was sent home after about a week or two on the stone train. went back to NECR via Willimantic. Have not heard anything about the test if they did or did not like it.
 #1261768  by lirrelectrician

Hello all,
I have heard that the P&W is getting 4 or 6 standard cab C40-8s from Union Pacific. This comes from two P&W employees. They just arent sure how many exactly. Look for the P&W to trade in the 5 B units also. Rumor also has that the units will go to Juniata for cab signals/ACSES and paint. Also heard the SD60 leases were extended another 3 years. Supposed to be a very heavy stone season coming up.

All for now

mike Scholz
LIRR
 #1261808  by DutchRailnut

believe MN still has a lot of restrictions on C40-8's
 #1261827  by Uncle Cheapo

By the time they purchase supposed engines, send them out for cab signal installation, repaints (yeah right), they probably will come down on the last train of the 2014 season, and then be mothballed for a few months. And all those lovely MN restrictions ;)
 #1261862  by DutchRailnut

the C40-8 is to heavy and exceeds load limit for New Haven to New Rochelle, specially when coupled to another unit.