Railroad Forums 

• P&W units lite move 9/27 9:30 pm

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#299930  by metroduff

While gassing up the wife's car last night at the Fairfield Cumberland Farms opposite the Round Hill Road bridge, I heard a squeaking sound on the railroad that reminded me of nothing so much as NYCT trains on the South Ferry loop.

Out of the darkness westbound came what I think were two P&W units moving light.

1. Is this light move a regular occurrence

2. What was with the squeaking?

#299936  by Otto Vondrak

Sqeaking= "Flange squeal" and quite literally is what you get when you have metal on metal contact, most likely the flanges of the locomotive wheels rubbing against the head of the rail.

#299937  by DutchRailnut

Engines went to Freshpond LI to pick up Tilcon hoppers from Prima Asphalt.
the train came back from LI this afternoon around 01:10 tru stamford.
 #300048  by metroduff

I know what causes the squeal - it's just that the curvature here is not drastic (less than 1 degree) and these are mainline locomotives, not moving too fast - it seemed odd to hear that much noise from these locomotives at this location - the loop at Danbury would be more the kind of place to hear it, I would think ...

#300054  by DutchRailnut

squeel happens any time a train is over or under speed in curve. or if crve is to tight.
when a locomotive , in this case a freight locomotive, goes at 40 mph (freight speed) tru a curve rated at 70 mph the lower flange rides against the rail.
 #300080  by metroduff

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.

#300504  by abaduck

Thanks for the info, Dutch. I'd appreciate any more info about the running of these P&W stone trains, as I've been trying to photograph them on and off for a month or so with no luck. I'd heard that they often run Eastbound through Mamroneck/Harrison at around 11AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and around lunchtime, maybe 1PM, on Saturdays - but of course this in no way resembles a fixed schedule, and I've never had any luck catching them.

If anyone has any better info, or can give a heads-up on when they're actually going to run, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm told they don't operate in the winter at all, and will probably stop running soon?

Thanks

Mike

#300672  by Scrap em Again

PW is comming into Fresh Pond tonight, due around 1am. They will be leaving Saturday morning around 9am, back to Cedar Hill with 20 or so LI empty hoppers.

So abaduck you might actually have a shot of catching them in your area between 10~12pm. Good Luck

#300810  by abaduck

Thanks Scrap 'em - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I *think* I heard them heading West through Mamaroneck about 23.30 last night.

I'll try to catch them today and post the results if I get them :-)

Cheers

Mike

#300884  by abaduck

Well I *saw* it going through Mamaroneck at 10.30AM but couldn't photograph it - stuck in traffic on way to station; they're tearing up the streets in town today. So I chased it to South Norwalk, where it showed around 11.15:

Thanks again!

Mike

#300901  by RDL 879

NICE!

As information, there's another stone train, I think it's CT-2, that leaves Cedar Hill most weeknights around 8:00PM. This one goes to Danbury. While it's too late this year, sometimes during the long days of June it's possible to shoot this train just after departure from New Haven in the New Haven/West Haven area. Something to think about for next year.

#301084  by CSX Conductor

And you even caught the "Susie Q" engine. :-)

#307655  by abaduck

Back again today, at Mamaroneck:

Mike

#308178  by kitn1mcc

you should hear that sound that train makes empty coming up the hill from going over the Housatonic river bridge down near Rowe ave in milford
 #309569  by L'mont

I saw what I believe was the P&W Stone train last night around 10pm crossing over Mamaroneck Ave.