Railroad Forums 

• P&W coal into Binghamton, NY?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#198585  by ANDY117

Okay. So the Friday after I get back to school. Probably saturday by the time it gets here.

#198694  by Otto Vondrak

"P&W" "Coal" and "Binghamton" does not compute. Unless they restored the Poughkeepsie Bridge when I wasn't looking, how the heck would P&W even think about getting to Bingo?

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#198700  by ANDY117

Here's the e-mail:

Hello All, I Wanted To Post This News For Tomorrow, But Its Already Mention On
The D&H List. So I'll Post It Today. The P&W Will Be Running Around 8-9. Test
Coal Trains To Johnson City,NY. Vestal,NY..? The Coal Ship Alwine Oldendorf.
Is Due For Arrival At The Port Of Providence, Around 1-5-9. Or 12-13. Mid Jan.
From What i Here That If....? This Coal Burns Well At J.C. We Could Be
Seeing a 3 Year Contract, & The Opportunity To See P&W Handle Up To 300,000 Tons
Of Coal. P&W Will Provide The Coal Cars, They Are GCCX-GACX. Not Sure About
The B&M's.....? P&W Run Thru Power To Binghamton,NY. Via The
"Gate-Way-Route" P&W-NECR (New London,CT) -VRS-(Bellows Falls,VT) CP
(WhiteHall,NY) NS. (Binghamton,NY) 50 Loads On Each Train. 100 Cars In 1.5
Weeks! P&W Must Deliver The Loaded Coal Train To The NECR By 14:00 Hours. The
RR's Involved Are Hoping To Get The Loaded Coal To Bingo In a 24 Hour Span.
P&W's 4 Units, Either 2 B40's Or 39's. & 2 Cabless Units Will Return From
Bingo On CP Trains Either 253 Or 165. & Dead Head Back To New London For The
Next Loaded Coal Train. The Other RR's Involve Mite...? Add More Power,
Pushers, Etc! So 4 P&W Units Will Be On These Loaded Coal Trains To & From
Binghamton,NY. To Members In The D&H & Bingo Groups. If.....? You Would Like
a Heads Up On These Coal Trains On The P&W...? I *Suggest* You Join The P&W
List. The URL To Join The P&W Discussion List is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProvidenceandWorcesterRR/ <HB> P&W List
Owner. <V.F.P.T.>

#198931  by BR&P

At least he didn't put a "P" in "Binghamton". Otto, you might want to edit spelling on your previous post! ;-)

#199129  by ANDY117

Oh man, first he puts me in the hamptons, now up by a bunch of mechannics, what's next?

#201039  by pw3901

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm not even sure that e-mail was in English.

-otto-
Yes Thats In English Otto. That Info Is Correct By Andy. PW-NECR-VRS-CP-NS. Coal Ship From South Africa, Is Due In Providence,RI. Around 1-8- Or Now 1-12-13. The Coal Ship Is Enroute. But Running Late.. From What I Heard. I am Looking FWD: To Seeing/Watching P&W Run Thru Power To Binghamton,NY. 8-9 Test Coal Trains. PW 3901. :>)
Last edited by pw3901 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #201100  by Cosmo

Hey,
At least he didn't say Haver-hill! (Opps, sorry, Massachusets humor!)
But then, Otto, you didn't say Wor-ses-ter either, so you're ok with me!
LOL :-D :-D :-D
Happy '06 all!
Cosmo
 #201261  by henry6

If the Japanese were able to deliver steel to Lackawanna, NY cheaper than Bethleham Steel could throw it over the fence then it is possible for some body to deliver coal from Africa or South America at very cheap rates. Even with the circutuos routing via B&M and D&H. Will be fun to watch loaded coal going southbound up Richmondville and Belden Hills!

#202386  by B&A_Railfan

Dont you think it would be 10 times faster to send it up to CSX and have CSX take it west over the Boston Line to Selkirk and then run it up the Port Sub to D&H's Kenwood Yard and go from there?

OR

#202392  by henry6

Or it could go west someother way? You also have to remember that P&W-NEC-D&H routing is a marketing group designed to show some competition. P&W to B&M sound like a more practical marketing grouping but B&M is not in the game at this point. P&W to CSX is a shorter route but that negates the competitive angle of the venture.

It does seem way out of the way to operate all the way to Bellows Falls to Rutland to Whitehall but maybe the track is better enough than B&M and less congested than CSX to actually be viable competition.

#202494  by B&A_Railfan

Thats true. I've never really looked at it that way. Looks like we'll find out sooner or later how well this routing is working out for the coal trains.