Railroad Forums 

• Possible Providence & Worcester derailments Over The Years?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1394211  by whatelyrailfan

I became curious about this subject for two reasons: Reason #1-The company's EXCELLENT safety record, coupled with the fact that (Unlike a few RRs I could name) the P&W actually maintains it's equipment and trackage very well. Reason #2-I personally don't ever remember hearing of a major (or minor) P&W derailment. Now, I'm originally from Connecticut, which means I've been familiar with the P&W ever since I was a kid in the 1970s.
So: Anybody want to chime in?
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1394289  by 161pw165

Jedijk88 wrote:while usually minor, they derail just like any other railroad. a few higher profile derailments involving hazmat have happened:

https://www3.epa.gov/region1/removal-si ... lment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was probably their biggest one. They also had a stone train go on the ground east of NH during a backup move that messed up Amtrak on the NEC either last year or year before. I can recall a couple minor ones in RI the last few years involving a few cars at most - 1 in Kingston and 1 in East Providence.
 #1394318  by MEC407

They also operate a lot less trackage than, say, Pan Am... and a decent amount of the trackage they use is owned by other people. Just something to keep in mind when comparing them to other railroads.
 #1394319  by MEC407

Moderator note: topic moved to P&W forum.
 #1394365  by whatelyrailfan

MEC407 wrote:They also operate a lot less trackage than, say, Pan Am... and a decent amount of the trackage they use is owned by other people. Just something to keep in mind when comparing them to other railroads.
You make a very good point particularly about some of the trackage being owned by someone else, however I was primarily thinking of another railroad that operates in Connecticut and Massachusetts that has probably 1/2 the trackage of the P&W, and yet SEEMS to have a derailment every third month or thereabouts. Anybody remember a photo of a derailment in the last seven years on that RR where it showed ( 1-2 boxcars If I remember correctly) leaning up against an old depot?
Also, it probably should have occurred to me to start the thread on this forum rather than the other, LOL.
Peace,
Jonathan