Railroad Forums 

• on the ground twice in about a week

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1116230  by kitn1mcc

last saturday 12/1 i think it was CT went on the ground in middletown just east of forest RD

and again today 12/6 CT-2 went on the ground in new haven right near the grand ave crossing

some track work is needed in ct
 #1161812  by DutchRailnut

Well last one was on NEC , I doubt it was track conditions.
 #1161815  by kitn1mcc

nice to see the Real wreck Crew had to be called in.

that section is the Approach to shore line JCT and Usually there will be anything but a clear signal there usually thats were they start slowing traffic down. wonder if some one got a penalty application and the freight cars did what they like to do
 #1161821  by DutchRailnut

train came out of Cedar Hill at restricted signal to go to NEC, so no brake application was not a factor.
 #1174581  by Larry

In Middletown today, one engine and one car on the ground at around 2:00PM. Train was heading back to Cedar Hill with two engines and four cars and a third engine in tow coming off wye from the south. Train had gone up north first and was done for the day. Lead engine is under main street tunnel near O'Rourke's diner. Track gauge was off and 2nd engine and one car split the rails. I took pictures but do not know how to post them. I know the line needs work and this just proves my point. Crew was waiting on response but I had to leave so do not know the outcome. I hope they get home in decent amount of time.
 #1174628  by Plate C

Derailments are part of railroading and happens to every RR at some time. That being said, is it just me, or does this seem to happen to P&W a bit too often, especially since the distance they travel is considerably less than larger RRs?
 #1174649  by kitn1mcc

i don't think CCCL was ever on the ground as mutch as p and w

to post pics you need to host and post a link to the hose
 #1174908  by Rbts Stn

Larry wrote:In Middletown today, one engine and one car on the ground at around 2:00PM. Train was heading back to Cedar Hill with two engines and four cars and a third engine in tow coming off wye from the south. Train had gone up north first and was done for the day. Lead engine is under main street tunnel near O'Rourke's diner. Track gauge was off and 2nd engine and one car split the rails. I took pictures but do not know how to post them. I know the line needs work and this just proves my point. Crew was waiting on response but I had to leave so do not know the outcome. I hope they get home in decent amount of time.
Upload to www.tinypic.com or to flickr or whatever your favorite site is, then link here using the URL button.
 #1174932  by MEC407

You can upload photos directly to RAILROAD.NET if you don't already have an image hosting account. After you're done typing your message, scroll down to the darker blue area beneath the Save/Preview/Submit buttons, and click on the tab that says Upload Attachment. Just make sure that the pictures have been resized to a reasonable size (a width of 1000 pixels or less is usually a good bet); unresized photos straight from your camera will probably be rejected by the site software.
 #1175036  by Larry

Thanks to both of you I will try and do my bestr to post some pictures. I had to go back down to Middletown today and I see the line was back in service and open for business. Great job on getting this back open in such a short period of time P & W.
 #1181601  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

derailments happen on the RR, most of the time they go unnoticed unless the news or buffs get wind of it and spread the word, also depends on where it happens. I've heard Pan Am had 3 yard incidents in one day before, but don't quote me, just what a fellow worker once told me....bring in the wooden stacking blocks!!
Last edited by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1181612  by MEC407

Speaking of which: if anyone has ever wondered how the railroads use wooden blocks to rerail cars and locomotives, this video demonstrates it quite well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txNMwminoiw