Railroad Forums 

• Reed St. Rail Bridge - P&W Engine Disabled

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1077521  by Jeff Smith

I'm starting this in MNRR and then moving to the P&W forum, but I have questions on this incident:

http://norwalk.patch.com/articles/retur ... o-11171685
On Wednesday afternoon it seemed his victory was short-lived. A string of graffiti-covered cars sat across the bridge, seeming to mock the senator's success at getting the earlier car moved out of sight.

But it was to be a short-lived intrusion of freeform "art." An employee of Providence & Worcester Railroad explained the 32-car freight train, carrying sand to Danbury, became disabled when a locomotive's driveshaft snapped. A rescue locomotive was en route to tow the cars to Danbury, he said, and the damaged locomotive would be moved to a siding for repairs.

The rail bridge, which cost $6 million to build, according to Duff's letter, spans Reed Street. From West Avenue, the major artery into South Norwalk, rail cars on the bridge are in clear view and practically on a pedestal because none of the proposed buildings for the intervening two blocks have been built to act as screening.
This is right by Oyster Shell Park on the Danbury Branch. Who sent the rescue locomotive? I am assuming it had to be MNRR and was probably a Brookville. Was service affected? I thought P&W was running this line at night to avoid conflict with MNRR. And what does this say for the crap outfit known as HRRC Housatonic Railroad? Will this cause P&W to push the issue again on Maybrook overhead rights?
 #1077664  by Backshophoss

Driveshaft?!?!?, the P+W power must have prime mover troubles,there is/was a yard near the Danbury Branch jct(Walk twr).
What was the final result?
Could MNR start "legal action" against HRRC to force repairs between Danbury-Derby??
OR at least "bill"HRRC for "Tow Service" rendered to P+W?

Are the "local" scribes that "DUMB"??
 #1077669  by DutchRailnut

3906 and 3006 are still parked in Dock yard in SONO under I-95 .
the 3906 has a bad traction motor gear.
the train left withthe two other units and hoppers to Danbury I assume, no MNCR locomotives involved.
 #1077929  by Train538

Dutch, are you sure they're still there? P&W CT-1 came down with both GMTX SD60s on Wednesday to pick everything up.
 #1078007  by DutchRailnut

they were picked up this(friday) morning, they were under I-95 Thursday evening, gone friday morning when I went by with my train.
 #1079719  by hcobin

The P&W employee I spoke with on-scene said his railroad was sending another locomotive. The disabled locomotive was built by GE, but I don't know its model number.
H.F.C.