Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1463269  by jaymac

"Controlled" because it probably was a deliberate attempt to burn out accumulated uncombusted fuel and lube oil in a location where secondary fires weren't likely to happen. GEs are more likely to need to be decoked than EMDs unless the EMDs have bad rings or seals and haven't been worked hard in a bit.
A few years back, I was on I-290 by Union Station and GRWO was working hard around the curve and also doing a good Vesuvius impression. Increasing the spectacle was that it was at night, like the photo.
Check MEC407's avatar for a daylight GE eruption.
 #1463271  by MEC407

Somehow we need to find a way to [re]introduce the word "locomotive" into the vocabularies of news reporters everywhere. I cringe and giggle whenever I read articles about railroad incidents because locomotives are always referred to as "train cars," "rail cars," "engine cars," etc. :P
 #1463388  by johnpbarlow

The Worcester Telegram article also claims this was a "scheduled" controlled burn so perhaps P&W does this every Sunday evening? If so, I'll try to make the next fireworks! :wink:

Good thing this wasn't an ethanol train!
 #1463389  by DutchRailnut

The GE's have a loadbox setting , by throwing a toggle switch you can load engine and generator to max by sending power to dynamic brake grit ,
it cleans Turbo and lets mechanics check engines performance, and yes for a while it will burn excess fuel until Turbo cleans out.
 #1476567  by johnpbarlow

Saw very clean P&W Super 7 B23-SS7 #2215 sitting dead at Palmer on the CSX-NECR-MC interchange track on Saturday 6/16/18. Rumor has it that this unit is shipping out to G&W's Ohio Central operation - is this the case?
Attachments:
P&W B23-SS7 Palmer 061618 small.jpg
P&W B23-SS7 Palmer 061618 small.jpg (199.04 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
 #1476805  by ShortlinesUSA

I can affirm that, as I photographed it sitting at the south end of the yard, still wearing the special P&W/VRS scheme. It is now on lease to NS.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1477103  by gregorygrice

Months ago. 4 were bought from NS, none have cab signaling yet.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1522282  by jbvb

Is P&W #150 (ex-New Haven Terminal 25 ton GE) still on the property? I heard it was for sale a year or so ago.
 #1522839  by jbvb

Google's aerial photo of the P&W engine terminal shows #150 at the North end of the track that runs west of the enginehouse, but I can't see it in Street View.