Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Burlington Northern KCS Kansas City Southern Collision

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1065692  by Jeff Smith

Train Collision Leaves 2 Hurt, Dozens Of Rail Cars Derailed

I'm going to start in BNSF, cross-post to KCS, then move to Class I, and leave as a global for a week, similar to the previous collision thread involving UP.
BARTON COUNTY, MO -- Kansas City Southern Railroad Representatives say the collision between a Kansas City Southern train and a B.N.S.F. train happened at a signal interlocker.

They say the crash sent two workers to the hospital with non life threatening injuries. Two trains, five locomotives, and 18 rail cars derailed in the accident.
 #1065708  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is somewhat more "hard news" (minus the "breathless blonde") regarding the incident:

http://www.morningsun.net/news/x2078603 ... r-Mulberry

Brief passage:

• Haz-Mat crews were on the site by 7 p.m. and crews from Hulcher Services Inc. and RJ Corman Derailment Services were on site to begin cleanup with heavy equipment.

Officials from both railroads were unavailable for comment, and all law enforcement officials directed questions to railroad representatives.
 #1065815  by MBTA1016

Isn't this the third train crash in less then a month. Hope everyone is ok and bad things do happen in threes. :(
Has anyone else noticed they all involved class 1 freight companies minus csx since they haven't had crash this month like the other big companies?
 #1065823  by scharnhorst

Mbta fan wrote:Isn't this the third train crash in less then a month. Hope everyone is ok and bad things do happen in threes. :(
Has anyone else noticed they all involved class 1 freight companies minus csx since they haven't had crash this month like the other big companies?
i think this is the 2ed head on in 2 weeks.... had the to UP trains in Western Oklahoma a week or two ago.
 #1065952  by MBTA1016

The Norfolk souther derailment was either before or after the UP crash. When bad things come in threes I wasn't thinking that three class 1 railroads would have a crash or derailment. Still surprised csx hasn't jumped in on this.(sarcasm). Just one thing is bothering me about this. What does this say about our rail system if three class 1 railroads crah within a month?
 #1065986  by JayBee

scharnhorst wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:Isn't this the third train crash in less then a month. Hope everyone is ok and bad things do happen in threes. :(
i think this is the 2ed head on in 2 weeks.... had the to UP trains in Western Oklahoma a week or two ago.
This wasn't a Head-on, the KCS train hit the BNSF train Several cars behind its locomotives. I will see if I can find my BNSF ETT for the line. I believe that it is an Automatic Interlocking. Meaning that the first train to enter the circuit gets the Green.
 #1066078  by sd80mac

Jeff Smith wrote:and leave as a global for a week, similar to the previous collision thread involving UP.

but when you close the topic or move topic into proper catalogy, can you at least post the latest update, such as finding in the investigation or conclusion of the investingation? Since I dont venture out to othe catalogy in this forum. Such as UP collision.

thanks

ken
 #1066132  by Jeff Smith

sd80mac wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:and leave as a global for a week, similar to the previous collision thread involving UP.

but when you close the topic or move topic into proper catalogy, can you at least post the latest update, such as finding in the investigation or conclusion of the investingation? Since I dont venture out to othe catalogy in this forum. Such as UP collision.

thanks

ken
Of course. Standard practice when I do this is to cross-post a second time.
 #1066134  by Jeff Smith

sd80mac wrote:
toolmaker wrote:Ken if you subscribe to this topic you'll still be able to follow along when it's moved to the future residence.
duh! i didnt even think of that! thanks and back to topic...
It will also be in your "ego" posts, i.e. view your posts. It bumps up when someone posts something new.
 #1066619  by MBTA1016

Backshophoss wrote:It happened just north of Mulberry Mo where KCS(Pittsburg sub MP 114.6) and BNSF(Ft. Scott sub MP 118.4) cross.
Which RR controls the Diamond??

This is a good question, so which railroad controls the diamond?
 #1066643  by JayBee

Mbta fan wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:It happened just north of Mulberry Mo where KCS(Pittsburg sub MP 114.6) and BNSF(Ft. Scott sub MP 118.4) cross.
Which RR controls the Diamond??

This is a good question, so which railroad controls the diamond?
Neither railroad controls this Diamond, it is an Automatic Interlocking, first train to occupy the circuit gets the Clear Indication (Green).
 #1068031  by ExCon90

Mbta fan wrote:The Norfolk souther derailment was either before or after the UP crash. When bad things come in threes I wasn't thinking that three class 1 railroads would have a crash or derailment. Still surprised csx hasn't jumped in on this.(sarcasm). Just one thing is bothering me about this. What does this say about our rail system if three class 1 railroads crah within a month?
Impossible to say until we have the final investigation reports, which won't be until sometime in 2013. An unbelievable amount of checking has to be done to ensure that the true cause has been identified.