Railroad Forums 

• iPhone railfan app

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#758059  by iceman977th

If this goes elsewhere, feel free to move it as necessary...this was the best place I could think of...

I know railroading is still old-fashioned luck and skill, and most may not be in trend, but has anyone ever thought about an application for railfans that can display a map of railroads according to your current location, what the nearby signals are (what type) and what the aspects of signals are. I doubt i could make it, but would anyone be interested in something like this, for perhaps the iPhone or maybe another place?
 #758089  by Otto Vondrak

Sort of already exists...

http://www.atcsmon.com/
ATCS Monitor allows you to graphically monitor train traffic on railroads that use the Association of American Railroad's Advanced Train Control System (ATCS) Specification 200 protocol, Wabtec (ex-Rockwell Collins) Advanced Railroad Electronics System (ARES) protocol, Union Switch and Signal Genisys protocol, and Safetran Supervisory Control System (SCS-128) protocol. To use this program to receive traffic over-the-air, you'll need a scanner with discriminator output, and a Windows PC (running 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, XP or Vista) with a sound card.
 #758673  by iceman977th

Otto Vondrak wrote:Sort of already exists...

http://www.atcsmon.com/
I already know about ATCS, but not every line in the US can be monitored on ATCS (I know the two lines nearby aren't). Plus, I was hoping it could also be more of an informational app that displays signal aspects and such for different lines. Maybe even combine with a police-scanner-like app to broadcast local rail frequencies.