Railroad Forums 

• MSTS VS Trainz

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#616512  by CPSK

Hi all;
I have both MSTS 1 (I guess ver 2 is still a ways off), and Trainz 2006 and now 2009.
I have been working on a really large route in Trainz 2006. I never tried to build my own routes in MSTS, but was of the impression that feature wasn't available, at least not to the extent that it is in Trainz.

I really like Trainz 2006, and purchased TS2009 (world builder edition) because it was very cheap (only $29 USD). Figured I couldn't go wrong...
Well, after playing with the new version for only a month now, and after having installed the first service pak, I am now re-installing the program.
It seems to have come crashing to a halt. Now, I don't know whether the problem is that I tried to import most of my content from TS2006, or whether it's because there is a problem with Auran (the people who created Trainz) web site not being available when I start the program. Somehow, I find it difficult to believe anyone would write a stand-alone software program that relies on a connection to the Internet just to start, so I am hoping the re-install will fix this.

I would like to discuss the pros and cons of both MSTS and Trains TS2006 or TS2009 (I don't have Trainz Classics).

FW
 #616988  by JCitron

Hi as a fellow "Trainzer" and still waiting for my DVD, I read in the forum from Tony that you need to rebuild your asset database after you've installed the service pack and just before you run the program again. Initially this wasn't the case, but this seems to be a common problem and solution.

Good luck and happy Trainzing.

John
 #617542  by Ken W2KB

My middle-high end computer uses Vista 64 Ultimate. Any idea if 2009 will run properly?

Thanks
 #618310  by CPSK

Ken W2KB wrote:My middle-high end computer uses Vista 64 Ultimate. Any idea if 2009 will run properly?

Thanks
Hi Ken (W2KB);
Funny that your call is W2KB. Mine is KE2KB! Not really active on the radio right now though...

As for your hardware, it will be fine. I'm running TS2009 on a single core P4 3.6Gigs with 3G RAM, NVidia 6800 256MB, Win XP Pro.
I have read of some issues with Vista, but it seems to be specific configurations. I would only assume that it would run on the 64 version of Vista as well. Did you try the Beta when it was out?

Good luck

FW
 #618757  by keeper1616

I can only find the following specs listed for Trainz 2009:
* Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent)
* 2GB RAM
* 256MB 3D Graphics Card (NVIDIA GeForce7 Series or equivalent)
* Windows XP Service Pack 2
* 1024x768 display resolution

It say any thing about 32 vs 64 bit processors. I'd need to assume that there isn't a 64 bit version, but thats just my assumption, and my be wrong.
 #620040  by JCitron

keeper1616 wrote:I can only find the following specs listed for Trainz 2009:
* 2GB RAM

It say any thing about 32 vs 64 bit processors. I'd need to assume that there isn't a 64 bit version, but thats just my assumption, and my be wrong.
In general if you have a "current" PC with 2GB or more of RAM, a decent hard drive, and a fairly decent video card, i.e. NVidia 8800GTS, you shouldn't have any problems. RIght now I'm running the program on a Quad Core Intel-based machine with 2 x 1TB hard drives, 4GB RAM, and the 8800GTS video card. My OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit and every thing runs fine. I've seen it running on 32-bit versions of VIsta and XP and it runs fine. The program is capapable of using the additional threads available to it if the operating system is 64-bit and the processor can support it.

Hope this helps. I hate the on the box specifications because they can be misleading. If anything take what they say and double the specifications and you'll be all set.

John
 #620160  by Ken W2KB

JCitron wrote:
keeper1616 wrote:I can only find the following specs listed for Trainz 2009:
* 2GB RAM

In general if you have a "current" PC with 2GB or more of RAM, a decent hard drive, and a fairly decent video card, i.e. NVidia 8800GTS, you shouldn't have any problems. RIght now I'm running the program on a Quad Core Intel-based machine with 2 x 1TB hard drives, 4GB RAM, and the 8800GTS video card. My OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit and every thing runs fine. I've seen it running on 32-bit versions of VIsta and XP and it runs fine. The program is capapable of using the additional threads available to it if the operating system is 64-bit and the processor can support it.

Hope this helps. I hate the on the box specifications because they can be misleading. If anything take what they say and double the specifications and you'll be all set.

John
Thanks, John

Mine has dual evga 8800GT cards, *GB RAM, Quad Core, and single 1TB drive for programs and two in RAID config for photos and other imporant data, with Vista 64 Ultimate also. So my machine is very close to yours, I think I'll give the program a try!

---Ken
 #624472  by LIRRMEDFORD

I have trainz classics myself and always have operation problems its to slow on my computer. And I went out and bought the componets and build it to reach the maximum! requirements

2.7 Ghz dual core AMD Processor
2 GB 800Mhz DDR2RAM (2x1GB chips)
320 GB HD
GeForce 6200 256 MB Graphics Card(PCI)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit I think (x86)

I'm thinking my problem is the graphics card. Its a bit old for todays needs and I am money strapped. Any suggestions? I do have 3 pci slots one being used for current graphics, one pci x16 slot and a pci x1 slot.