Railroad Forums 

• Auran Trainz Classics

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#522457  by pnaw10

Recently purchased Auran Trainz Classics to try out their rendition of the Harlem Line. Here's my review.

Pros:
- Trains look pretty realistic
- Stations and track layout seem to be realistic
- You can switch between cab view and external views
- You can choose to have complex controls (brakes, reverser, etc. much like MSTS) or a simpler "DCC Mode" which is like running a model train

Cons:
- Even though my PC exceeds the minimum technical requirements, the simulation takes awhile to load up. There are times when you can be running down the track for awhile with no problems, then it suddenly gets herky-jerky -- particularly when entering an area with many buildings. I'd hate to even THINK of how this game runs on a computer that just barely meets the minimum requirements.

- The cab of the ACMU is also used to simulate the cab of the Bombardier Shoreliners, despite not being the same

- It only simulates from Bronxville to Southeast. You can't go further than Southeast, even if you have a diesel-driven consist, and you can't go all the way to GCT. (The latter is probably a good thing, as I'd hate to see this simulation go crazy trying to render Manhattan.)

- So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to pick which kind of train you get. Seems like the standard run northbound gets an FL-9. The standard southbound run puts you in a Shorliner cab, being pushed by a Genny. There are also specific missions for learning how to operate under signaling -- I only did one so far, and they gave me a train of ACMUs.

Now, you CAN switch to other trains that are "active" in the simulation, but you can't move to the cab at the other end of the train. When you start the standard southbound mission, there's a Northbound M-7 train. You can take it over if you like, but it's almost at Southeast anyway -- so you only get to run it a few stops before it's over. (You can run it backwards, but that's pretty lame since cab view is useless.)

- The game doesn't seem to really care about speed limits. I ran a train at 110 mph, and it never went off any curves, the alerter never beeped at me, nothing.

- The documentation leaves a little bit to be desired

- Unless I just haven't found it yet, there's no "mission" where you run the line under a schedule. The missions I've played, you can go as fast or slow as you want... stop or don't stop at the stations... the game doesn't really care. It's almost kind of boring since there's no objectives, no rewards for meeting such, or penalties for screwing up. It would be neat if they had you running on the actual Metro-North schedule (or even a fake schedule), trying to hit the stations on-time... lining up the trains with the platforms, etc.

Things that made me laugh:

- Spotting an FL-9 on an adjacent track, pulling 15 freight cars
- Being passed on the express track by a train of SPV-2000s -- below North White Plains

- After "parking" my default southbound train in the middle of nowhere, I took over the M7 at Southeast, and started running in reverse. Since it's a southbound train, I was routed onto the southbound track, eventually coming up behind my original train. I hit at 40mph, expecting a crash -- but instead, they coupled together and ran as one long train! Yes, I had a consist of 4 Shoreliners, a Genny, and several M-7's.

At first I just thought the M-7's were "pushing" the other train, but when I stopped and went the other direction, the entire train followed.

I wish I could post some screenshots on my website, but whenever I hit the PrintScreen key to copy the current screen to the clipboard, it pastes into Photoshop as a blank screen. Must be some special way to take screenshots, but I haven't found it in the documentation.

#524157  by scotty269

You can go into the Surveyor Mode and add whatever locomotives you want, thus creating your own consists. You can also add signals, tracks, stations, people, etc. Actual missions would be cool, but eh. Wait until MSTS2.

#527918  by LIRRMEDFORD

I'll let you know how it is on a system with minimal requirements. It sucks. At least i got so see the cab view.... sort of :( . The inside of the M7 is neat there is just one thing i don't agree with and thats the 32 or 35 different acceleration slots.... as far as I know the M7 has 5 slots on the accelerator. Max accel min accel coast min break max break..... and It took me a while to figure out how to switch from the cab to the disel on the same train. It's ctrl + C. And when I installed I met all the requirements but the processor. I only have a 900mhz celeron non upgradeable >.<.... barely... but I made it. Good luck to thoes that get it. I lagged like hell driving the M7 into NWP.
 #913121  by pnaw10

Almost 3 years later, I've recently decided to give Trainz Classics another shot. (Getting "World of Subways" for Christmas was the inspiration.)

Finally enacted the one-month free First Class Ticket that came with the game, and started downloading additions. Got some new rolling stock. Also downloaded someone's attempt to model the Hudson Line from GCT to Croton-Harmon... but very disappointed that many of these new downloads have tons of "missing dependencies" which can't be found by Trainz. I just don't understand how a line, car, etc. can be posted without the dependencies. I've read there are ways you can get around these problems (like replacing one train's bogeys with another model's) but that shouldn't even be necessary. Everything should be packaged together. It's very aggravating having to track down this, that and the other thing -- especially as a "newbie" who doesn't know where to find it all.

I've gotten the gist that you can use the Surveyor mode to build your own consists, layouts, etc., but I still find the instruction manual to be very lacking in explaining how to do these things. Maybe it's explained better in the "digital" documentation, but if Trainz has to run full-screen, it's kinda tough to switch back and forth to a PDF file, even with a dual-monitor setup. I just like to play every so often -- this isn't something I can spend countless hours fiddling with (though I wish I could), but I'm sick of being limited to just a few tiny runs on the Harlem Line.

Even though I've never taken a ride on PATH, nor was that interested in it before receiving WoS for Christmas, it's much better in terms of the fact it DOES have the entire PATH system and you're driving trains on real schedules. You have to stay on schedule, you control the doors, bells and announcements at station stops, and you can even walk outside at stations, which is required to "switch ends" for night/weekend runs that go "via Hoboken" or if you're playing in "shift" mode, where you keep running the route back and forth as if you were working it in real-life.

Both Trainz Classics and WoS have their own pros and cons -- it'd be great if someone could reach a happy medium between the two. Trainz 12 looks exciting, and I like that it's going to have a keyboard shortcut card included, but at this point in time, I'm not thrilled enough with Trainz to justify paying $150 for the new version. I've never spent that much for ANY game, even when I was younger and had tons more time to play games.

Still waiting on MSTS2, by the way ;-)
 #913446  by JasW

The PATH model is spectacular, at least from what I saw of the NWK-WTC video the modeler posted: http://www.youtube.com/user/indiavideo#p/u/422/HijudmZx1RA and http://www.youtube.com/user/indiavideo#p/u/423/nb1xprpC53c.

I hadn't been that interested in Trainz until I saw this. Trainz Classics 1&2 is only $10, as opposed to $40 for the 2010 Engineer's Edition. Seeing as Classics is almost 4 years old, though, does it run on Windows 7? Or am I better off getting the 2010 Engineer's Edition?
 #916494  by pnaw10

I hadn't been that interested in Trainz until I saw this. Trainz Classics 1&2 is only $10, as opposed to $40 for the 2010 Engineer's Edition. Seeing as Classics is almost 4 years old, though, does it run on Windows 7? Or am I better off getting the 2010 Engineer's Edition?
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. I'm still running Vista Home Premium on my desktop, and Vista Home Basic on my laptop. (Apparently I happened to be among the few who didn't have all these big problems everyone else has had with Vista... so I haven't had any motivation to upgrade. Yet.)

Sorry for the useless answer; just didn't want to leave you hanging. A quick Google search showed some results which indicate TRS2006 does not work in Windows 7, but I couldn't find anything about Classics.

You might want to check Auran's website. I believe they have their own forums where you might be able to find answers.
 #917014  by JasW

pnaw10 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. I'm still running Vista Home Premium on my desktop, and Vista Home Basic on my laptop. (Apparently I happened to be among the few who didn't have all these big problems everyone else has had with Vista... so I haven't had any motivation to upgrade. Yet.)

Sorry for the useless answer; just didn't want to leave you hanging. A quick Google search showed some results which indicate TRS2006 does not work in Windows 7, but I couldn't find anything about Classics.

You might want to check Auran's website. I believe they have their own forums where you might be able to find answers.
Thanks. I had checked the website, but it didn't say anything about compatibility. The 2010 Engineer's Edition, however, says it is compatible with Windows 7 (one would hope!) and that my video card meets/exceeds the requirement, so I went ahead and downloaded that last night. It took a couple of hours, so I haven't had a chance to install it, let alone see whether it is backwards compatible with the PATH addition you mentioned. I would presume it is, but who knows.