Railroad Forums 

• Aurun or Microsoft?

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#412246  by #7470

Hey guys. I have an older version of Microsoft Train Simulator and Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004. I understand that Microsoft is coming out with a new Train Simulator that used the Fligh Simulator X configuration, and also, Trainz Railroad Simulator is coming out with an all new Trainz Classics. I want to upgrade, so my question to you is, which one do I choose? Aurun or Microsoft?

#412318  by Lirr168

Personally, I have had both and find that MSTS was more realistic (and therefore fun, for me at least) than any of the Auran games. I have also seen what they did with the Flight Sim X engine and have nothing but the highest expectations for that game; I also have the confidence that it will deliver.

On the other hand, the MS game is 2-3 years away, at the least it seems. If this Trainz game is coming out within the year (I do not follow Trainz as much, so I have no idea), then that might be something worth looking into as well; I certainly will.

#412351  by #7470

Thanks for the reply. Trainz Classics is coming out on July 9 2007. Here is a link to the site. http://www.auran.com/auran/shop.htm It seems to promise some good graphics and sounds. I guess we'll see as time goes on.

#412551  by Lirr168

OMG, that is an M7 and an FL9!!!

Thank you for the link! I for one will definitely be buying this for the Metro-North stuff.

#413402  by Brakeman1

Not just the Metro North Stuff But The Harlem line.. The unfortunate thing is The harlem line from bronxville to southeast only.

#413532  by L'mont

Brakeman1 wrote:Not just the Metro North Stuff But The Harlem line.. The unfortunate thing is The harlem line from bronxville to southeast only.

Wow, thats kinda silly. I can understand not going to GCT, but you could have ended the line in the Mount Vernon yard or something......

#416777  by PraiseX6

#7470 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Trainz Classics is coming out on July 9 2007. Here is a link to the site. http://www.auran.com/auran/shop.htm It seems to promise some good graphics and sounds. I guess we'll see as time goes on.
I agreed so I preordered my copy today! I have Trainz 2004 and Trainz 2006 and I was very happy with BOTH of those products so I'm going to stick w/ Auran but I will also get the new MSTS when that becomes in the stores.

#418448  by #7470

I guess its hard to decide which one to choose. I'll end up getting them both. What I like about Aurun is that you have more control of where you want to go, what you want to do. Its more simple. Like in the cab you can look around where as in MSTS you can only look right and left and have to keep that veiw. In the version of MSTS that I have, you can't even hear the bell inside or out of the locomotive. I don't know though because I have an old version of MSTS and TRS2004. Does anyone have MSTS 2 and can compare it to TRS2004 for me? Such as sounds and views? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

#449551  by pnaw10

I first found this post a while before Trainz Classics was set to be released. Forgot about it for awhile, but recently I remembered it.

Can't seem to tell what the deal is -- was it released in July or not? Looking to put it on my Christmas list, but I came up empty-handed when searching "Trainz Classics" on amazon.com, buy.com or any other retailer I can immediately think of. Amazon just had Trainz 2006 and another older version. Wikipedia's entry on "Trainz" only says it's set to be released in July -- future tense -- rather than "it was released in July."

I see it for sale on Auran's own website, but if I'm going to ask around for it for Christmas, I don't want to make someone else sign up for a "Planet Auran" account (or whatever they call it) JUST to convert the currency from Australian to USD. Plus, I'm afraid to guess how much shipping would cost from Australia. The website they have listed as their North America "agent" appears to have folded.

(I really like what I've seen of the product, but it appears Auran could do a better job with keeping their website current and organized. Took me 15 minutes of digging around to confirm that "Classics" is a standalone product, and not just an "expansion pack" that requires some other "base" program.)

#450140  by #7470

Same thing with me pnaw10. I asked for it for my birthday but apparently they are not selling it in the US as of now. :(

#450359  by pnaw10

#7470 wrote:Same thing with me pnaw10. I asked for it for my birthday but apparently they are not selling it in the US as of now. :(
If they're just flat out NOT selling it in the USA, that's stupid! How many people in Australia even know what Metro-North is? Why would Auran devote time, money and other resources into a product that's not even reaching the very people it's catering to?

I was amazed to see they included M7s, Bombardier coaches, and I even saw a screen shot with (dare I say it) a train of SPV-2000's! It really surprises me to see the lengths they went through to make this simulation as realistic as possible, yet we can't get our hands on it nearly three months after the initial release. What gives, Auran?