Railroad Forums 

• Train Simulator on Windows Vista

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#403674  by chrsjrcj

I recently bought a Windows Vista Computer. I am wondering if it is safe to run MSTS on it. Thank you in advance.

#403676  by taoyue

Runs fine on Vista. Train Simulator does a fairly "shallow" install so it doesn't expose itself to many points of failure.

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to the task, of course. If your graphics driver is unstable then so will be your games. Actually, Train Simulator is old enough that it might just run fine on today's integrated graphics chips (which are a lot powerful than the little dinky chips of six years ago!).

#404067  by AEM7AC920

There were some known issues with MSTS and Vista but nothing serious. I think the only thing was that train-sim doesn't close properly; also raildriver is not compatible with Vista. I had some random crashes but not sure if it was vista related. My machine came with Vista but I dumped it for XP because it uses way too many resources. There are some good topics over at www.train-sim.com about this if you want a better idea.

Good Luck!

#471310  by cifn2

MSTS's next release will be made to run with Vista according to the recent press releases.

Re:

#563815  by Ken W2KB

AEM7AC920 wrote:There were some known issues with MSTS and Vista but nothing serious. I think the only thing was that train-sim doesn't close properly; also raildriver is not compatible with Vista. I had some random crashes but not sure if it was vista related. My machine came with Vista but I dumped it for XP because it uses way too many resources. There are some good topics over at http://www.train-sim.com about this if you want a better idea.

Good Luck!
Anything more info, or known issues with Vista Ultra 64? I just put together a week ago a barebones kit from Tiger Direct with the following relevant hardware, and am about to start loading stuff beyond Office, Acrobat, etc., to wit, MS Train Simulator. Any suggestions or just try it? All the drivers are up to date.

EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Intel C2Q Q6700 2.66GHz
OCZ SLI 4098MB PC6400 DDR2 - 8 gigs
Ultra M923 Full Tower ATX Case
BFG GS-650 650-Watt ATX Power Supply
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI - 2 boards running in SLI.

Thanks!
 #564435  by Railjourner

Ken W2KB wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:There were some known issues with MSTS and Vista but nothing serious. I think the only thing was that train-sim doesn't close properly; also raildriver is not compatible with Vista. I had some random crashes but not sure if it was vista related. My machine came with Vista but I dumped it for XP because it uses way too many resources. There are some good topics over at http://www.train-sim.com about this if you want a better idea.

Good Luck!
Anything more info, or known issues with Vista Ultra 64? I just put together a week ago a barebones kit from Tiger Direct with the following relevant hardware, and am about to start loading stuff beyond Office, Acrobat, etc., to wit, MS Train Simulator. Any suggestions or just try it? All the drivers are up to date.

EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Intel C2Q Q6700 2.66GHz
OCZ SLI 4098MB PC6400 DDR2 - 8 gigs
Ultra M923 Full Tower ATX Case
BFG GS-650 650-Watt ATX Power Supply
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI - 2 boards running in SLI.

Thanks!
Sorry I don't have Vista but like AEM7AC920 wrote there is alot of info on the PC Tech section of the train-sim.com forum.