Railroad Forums 

• MTS Add On Help

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#196959  by choochoochuck

I belong to train-sim.com and when i try to download a new train and I move the file to the MTS, I can never find it in the consist editor, does anyone have any idea?

#205472  by general440

I put trains in the game by the following:
(note before you start this it would be wise to create a backup of all the effected files until you know what you are doing)When you go to your download it is usually downloaded as a zipped folder. You first have to open the zipped folder and you should see a few files. Most times it will be a folder file with an abbreviation of your trains name. Other times you will find the above file along with a picture, a readme document, a file ID document or any comdination of these files along with some possible extras. You will want to focus on the folder file with the abbreviation of the trains name. copy and paste this file into the trainset folder, which is in the trains folder which is in the train simulator folder. This method works 80% of the time. Of course there are exceptions that reqiure completely different processes.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more. If your computer crashes in the process, I take no responsibility.[/b]

#205694  by Lirr168

Here's the quickest and easiest way to install locomotives/Mu's on MSTS:

1. unzip the file to a temporary folder. the default is C:/unzipped
2. go to the temporary folder and find the folder within it that has the locomotive name (ex. LIRR RS1 461); copy this folder.
3. here's where it gets tough: go to the C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/Trains/Trainset
4. once inside the Trainset folder, paste the folder you copied from C:/unzipped. after checking the folder has appeared, close the window.
5. insert MSTS disc 2 (the orange one) into your CD-ROM drive
6. go to Start>All Programs>Microsoft Games>Train Simulator>Train Simulator Editors and Tools; open it.
7. once the MSTS eitors and tools has opened (it may take a minute), go to the Activity Editor
8. once in activity editor, go to File>New. You'll seea route name come up, just click Ok. Next, it will prompt you to name the activity, also just click Ok.
9. under the section "Player" on the middle right, hit "New"
10. under the "Consist" heading, hit "New"
11. find the appropriate loco/car type (ex. diesel) from the drop down menu and scroll down the list until you locate the name of the loco you just put into the Trainset folder
12. now double-click on the loco and you will see it appear on the bottom. simply repeat step 11 to add more cars to the consist. before exiting, make sure to name your consist and save it as well.
13. finally, go into MSTS as normal and the train should appear in the same menu with all of the default ones.