Railroad Forums 

• World Of Subways Vol 4

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1320888  by LIRRMEDFORD

TML Studios is making World Of Subways Vol 4 which centers around the NYC Subway 7 Line. The gameplay is set in the 70's and the game includes R33 and R36 trainsets. It gives you the option do be a driver or a conductor. The graphics look amazing and the video of game play is even better. They have announced that the download release will be march 19th and the retail version will be april 2nd

The Official Shop Page
Game Play Video
 #1320930  by MACTRAXX

LIRR Medford:

I looked at videos of this system and the first thing I noticed is that this is the 1980s noting the Redbird color
scheme used on the #7 Flushing Line fleet - which was introduced in the second half of the decade primarily
after David Gunn became the President of the New York City Transit Authority in 1984...

During the 1970s the #7 Flushing Line IRT fleet was still using the original turquoise and white color scheme
which would be heavily covered with graffiti - which began in 1972 and would be widespread throughout the
Subway system soon afterwards...There were a few cars with the MTA blue and silver color scheme but they
were quickly defaced with graffiti...Beginning in 1982 some of the #7 car fleet were painted in what would be
called the "snow white" color scheme and when David Gunn took the helm at the NYCTA during 1984 one of
his first orders was to discontinue using white paint and go with the so-called "Redbird" color scheme...

That color scheme would not only be used on the #7 car fleet - it would be used on other IRT painted cars
primarily - and would be used up to and until the #7 fleet was retired in 2003...

The car interiors look to be in this game the cream and orange that was adopted during the 1980s and it
replaced the "Institutional Green" that painted car interiors had - but in the graffiti years following 1972 it
was tough at best to notice with all the interior scrawls many cars had then...

I like the views from both the Train Operator and Conductor's perspective and the only part I did not care for
were the views from atop the center roofs - and not from the front ends - of some moving trains...

I am not a gamer myself but I do remember what the #7 Flushing Line was like during both the 70s and 80s
and that this system does show how the line was during the second half of the 80s...

MACTRAXX
 #1321010  by LIRRMEDFORD

Oh I completely agree with every point you made. I just to most of my post from the context of their description.Most people on their fan page agree that the color scheme is completely wrong. If you listen to the video very carefully as well you will notice a chime. The Redbirds didn't have those either. They also used some sounds from WoS vol 3 Underground in that video. The video was posted almost 7 months ago. And although they said the Redbirds will remain redbirds we can hope other things have been fixed, like the door chime being removed and the consist length being upped from 6 cars to 11.

Here's the link to their facebook page, you'll see most of the errors being pointed out

World Of Subways Vol 4 Facebook
 #1322930  by LIRRMEDFORD

The game was released yesterday and there are some pros and cons, I'll let you figure them out for yourself with this video I made of a run from 111 st to Times Square

LIRRMEDFORD WORLD OF SUBWAYS 4-111 ST TO TIMES SQUARE
 #1323404  by MACTRAXX

LIRR Medford:

Thanks for this sample #7 Manhattan bound Train Operator's view video...

The period pictured looks to me to be between the late 1980s and the early 1990s judging by a variety of things
that I noticed - station details like the added platform edge safety line and warning signs at the end of stations
and the lack of any significant graffiti - the only graffiti I noticed was on a wall above the tunnel entrance at the
Hunterspoint Avenue station and at the west end there were some scrawls on the ceramic tile walls - which tend
to be kept clean because of how easy it is to remove graffiti from those tiles...

The station lighting is either on fixtures off platforms and those using flourescent tubes - plastic covers like the
ones used in this game video tend to capture dirt like steel brake shoe dust and need higher maintenance - the
NYCTA uses flourescent tubes placed in circular reinforcing glass or plexiglass tubing that further protects the
bulbs and keep outside dirt out...

A Conductor's announcements tape should have been used - this may have made some difference and features
like the door bell chime - which the Redbird IRT cars did not have as previously mentioned - should not have
been included in this video...

Another observation was the lack of passing trains in the opposite Flushing bound direction - in the 5 am hour
of the morning NYCT would start to use more trains getting ready for the busy AM rush period which would
begin to gradually pick up during that hour...I noticed far too many people in stations standing too close to the
platform edge - most if not all riders do stand back behind the secondary safety line in anticipation of the train
stopping and getting aboard quickly - as a whole there is too much dwell time at stations in this video...

What the designers of this game should have done is to consult a timetable of #7 Line service to see how many
trains would be running Flushing bound during that hour - the only passing train I noticed was at the 61-Woodside
Station - and see if any express trains using the center track should have been shown passing or connecting - I do
think that Manhattan bound express service begins during the 6am hour and it was correct to not show a express
train in this video...

I noticed the station names - and not the numbered streets - used in this video showing where station locations
are - and I think that they got the Grand Central-42nd Street Station backwards - when you are traveling westbound
it is literally a straight line climb from the bottom of the Steinway Tunnel under the East River up into Grand Central
and that using the matching street numbers - such as 74th/Broadway - would help describe locations better...

What I suggest that you - or anyone looking to compare the game with the real Manhattan bound #7 run - is to
search YouTube to see if anyone has posted a head end video of this run shot from the railfan window of either
the Redbirds or the newer R62 1980s vintage Kawasaki cars that replaced them...More then likely there should
be a video posted that is good enough to make a comparison between the game and the line that it is based on...

In closing I liked the video - and with improvements to detail it could be even better...

MACTRAXX
 #1323735  by LIRRMEDFORD

OK so here was the thinks I found wrong playing

1. If you start from they yard they should start you from the lay up track, I doubt the NYCTA has the train set and ready for you to go like that

2. There are 4 throttle notches and I think there are only suppose to be 3 on Redbirds

3. Breaking beyond the 5th notch is unrealistic you cant stop a train on a dime and always need at least a little distance

4. AI frequency, as you stated MACTRAXX frequency would be on the rise for the rush and you would probably see an opposing train every other station

5. There is no cab sway, every train sways no matter how good it is connected to the rail

6. The sun glare, it was just after 5am so the sun glare would be heading eastbound not west
 #1323744  by MACTRAXX

LIRR Medford:

I looked at each of your notes about the game and here is what I see:

1-Some local trains do start from the Corona Yard at the 111th Street Station and what they do is stop and
stay until they get their time signal to proceed westbound - that looked accurate to me - especially at times
like the 5am hour when trains are being placed in service for the AM rush period.

2-Not sure about that myself - a NYC Transit Train Operator that ran Redbirds can answer this question.

3-When you have the weight of 11 cars averaging 75,000 pounds each you do need some distance to brake
even in emergency mode - that is quite a bit of momentum behind you as a Train Operator in any case.

4-In the 5am hour trains would be operating at about ten minute intervals and a train should be passing in
the game video Flushing bound about every ten minutes as the train makes its way towards Manhattan.
A train at every second station would be for more frequent rush period service - when Express train are
running in the prime direction all of that equipment is cycled back in the form of frequent local trains. I
remember that the #7 trains used destination signs during those periods with <EXP LOCAL> showing which
directions these trains operate. The R62s use a shape - green circles for local and red diamond square for
expresses that replaced those older type destination signs that Redbirds used.

5-Yes - there is some rocking motion on those Redbird trains - especially at speed...

6-There should have not been sun glare from the sunrise looking west towards Manhattan instead the skyline
should have been brightly lit with the sun behind the train.

As mentioned further attention to detail can inprove on this #7 Flushing Line game and as newer versions are
updated perhaps this game can be made even more accurate...

MACTRAXX
 #1323832  by Fan Railer

LIRRMEDFORD wrote:OK so here was the thinks I found wrong playing
2. There are 4 throttle notches and I think there are only suppose to be 3 on Redbirds

3. Braking beyond the 5th notch is unrealistic you cant stop a train on a dime and always need at least a little distance
Correct on both points. In fact, EVERY pre-NTT car has three power notches only (Switch, Series, Parallel). It seems TML simply recycled the physics from WoS 1 (PATH) for both the braking and throttling. In addition the brake gauge functionality is also completely wrong.
 #1324031  by MACTRAXX

LIRR Medford:

I found this video of a Manhattan bound #7 Local train run from Mets-Willets Point (Citi Field) dating from April 2013 that was posted by John Knitter.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlrHfuVHp_4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Time: 33:44

He also posted a video of a Flushing Main Street bound #7 Express from Times Square that was posted on August 28,2013

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4533ZGZp7Y4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Time: 28:25

These can help in comparing the WOS game #7 Train to the actual run - even though these look to be taped from the RFW of R62 cars...

MACTRAXX
 #1324179  by Fan Railer

MACTRAXX wrote:LIRR Medford:

I found this video of a Manhattan bound #7 Local train run from Mets-Willets Point (Citi Field) dating from April 2013 that was posted by John Knitter.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlrHfuVHp_4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Time: 33:44

He also posted a video of a Flushing Main Street bound #7 Express from Times Square that was posted on August 28,2013

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4533ZGZp7Y4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Time: 28:25

These can help in comparing the WOS game #7 Train to the actual run - even though these look to be taped from the RFW of R62 cars...

MACTRAXX
If the runs in WoS 4 weren't so tied to the schedule, you could make both trips (express & local) from end to end much faster than you could in real life. This is due to the fact that the acceleration rates on the WoS redbirds are a much too fast to be realistic.
 #1369811  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:I looked at videos of this system and the first thing I noticed is that this is the 1980s noting the Redbird color
scheme used on the #7 Flushing Line fleet - which was introduced in the second half of the decade primarily
after David Gunn became the President of the New York City Transit Authority in 1984...

During the 1970s the #7 Flushing Line IRT fleet was still using the original turquoise and white color scheme
which would be heavily covered with graffiti - which began in 1972 and would be widespread throughout the
Subway system soon afterwards...There were a few cars with the MTA blue and silver color scheme but they
were quickly defaced with graffiti...Beginning in 1982 some of the #7 car fleet were painted in what would be
called the "snow white" color scheme and when David Gunn took the helm at the NYCTA during 1984 one of
his first orders was to discontinue using white paint and go with the so-called "Redbird" color scheme...

The car interiors look to be in this game the cream and orange that was adopted during the 1980s and it
replaced the "Institutional Green" that painted car interiors had - but in the graffiti years following 1972 it
was tough at best to notice with all the interior scrawls many cars had then...
The orange doors and beige interior were phased in on the IRT fleet around 1978. The first "Gunn Red" WF R33/R36 cars began appearing on the Flushing Line in autumn 1984. By 1989 the entire IRT R26-R36 fleet and some R27/30s were repainted.