Railroad Forums 

• MSTS on a laptop

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#136236  by alcoc420

I want to get a laptop computer. Does anyone know how well MSTS will work on laptops with Pentium M730/Centrino 1.6ghz specs, 512ram? I am leaning toward Sony, Toshiba, HP mid range laptops.

Currently, I use MSTS on a desk top 800mhz and 64mb graphics card. It works well enough.

Thanks!

#139070  by StationMaster

In addition to the specs you listed, most laptops currently on the market also have reasonable video capabilites. You may still have to adjust detail levels to get decent frame rates, but MSTS should run well enough.

One other thing to keep in mind (and I'm not sure about this), you may need to double-check power settings that the laptop uses when running, as this may affect how well MSTS performs.

Hope this helps.

#139193  by pgengler

MSTS works on my laptop, which is an 800MHz PIII Compaq with 128MB of RAM and a 4MB video card. It doesn't run well, mind you, but it runs. You should have no problem running it on a laptop with those specs.

#141017  by _UPSTATE_SCHDY_

I suggest upgrading your RAM!!!!!!!!,atleast to 512!!!!,or if you have more than 1 or 2 expansion slots i suggest 2 512's....well worth the $$

#143806  by alcoc420

I bought a Sony svgn460 13.3in screen. Mint. Frame rate is double what it was. Clear pic. Better sound. Frame rate is usually in the 40's.

#248385  by benltrain

How about riding a NEC train and running in on TS at the same time?