Railroad Forums 

• N&W Chief Engineer William W. Coe

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #1400167  by Engineer Spike

I have been researching my family. W.W. Coe was the chief engineer, when the company was extending into the coal fields of western VA. I have read that he designed much of the port facilities in Norfolk too. N&WHS has some track maps that either he drew, or approved.

Does anyone know more about his work? How much of the old lines are in the original alignments? I'm curious to see how his work has stood the test of time. I do know that he was promoted to GM of Pocahontas Coal subsidiary.