Railroad Forums 

• NKP Passenger Service Question

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #1361212  by XC Tower

I have memories from the early 1960's of watching a Nickel Plate passenger train going eastbound over the "street running" of West 19th St. in Erie, PA, on several occasions while visiting my Grandparents who lived there (Great memories: Mars lights oscillating at night from the lead locomotive, bells ringing as they rolled by, going right down the middle of the street at 15mph.....NKP train watching from their front porch!) The passenger train was rather short, maybe four or five cars, pulled by sort of high-hood unit. When did this service end? I imagine shortly after N&W took over.....
Thank you for any help.

XC
 #1361219  by RedbirdR33

The NIckel Plate was running four passenger trains in the early sixties between Buffalo and Chicago. Train No. 7 The Westerner and No 8 The New Yorker were discontinued on June 3 and 2 , 1963 respectively. The remaining trains were No 5 The City of Chicago and No 6 The City of Cleveland. Reports say that east of Cleveland the trains carried only a baggage car and coaches. The engines that you saw may have been an Alco RS-36. The NKP had purchased eleven of these and two were high nose passenger units. The Norfolk & Western took over the NKP on October 16, 1964. The two trains were discontinued on September 9-10, 1965.

Source: Nickel Plate Road In Color, Volume 2: 1960-1985 by Stephen M Timko

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1371411  by NKP1155

In 1962 NY-CHI sleepers, joint with DL&W were on #7 & #8, not on the night trains #5 & #6. The Oct 1962 sees sleepers on 7 & 8 cut back NY to Cleveland. 5 & 6 still have CHI-Buff sleepers to go with the CHI-CLV ones. April 1964. 5 & 6 have CHI-CLV sleepers only. Cleveland-Buffalo trains are smaller than those of 1882 when there was a baggage car, first class coach & second class coach.