Railroad Forums 

• GrandLuxe aka American Orient Express

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#592172  by John_Perkowski

I note that aoe dot com has gone to a single card website saying "CLOSED".

Anyone got the "Adios" drumhead?
 #593375  by PClark

On a similar vein, Great Southern Railway in Australia have just announced that only 1 out of 9 luxury transcontinental "cruises" planned for between November '08 and February '09 known as the "Southern Spirit" will be operated.

I have posted more information on the Worldwide Railfan forum.

Lean times a'comin'.
 #593980  by icgsteve

it would be a shame to scrap these cars....hopefully some wealthy railfan buys them and acts as care-taker, with the intent to sell them in five or ten years after the recession/depression is over.
 #594111  by David Benton

they could represent a bargain to someone with storage avaliable .
Unfortunately with the price of scrap metal been so high at the moment , alot of stuff that should be saved is been scraped . or stolen to sell as scrap .
 #604407  by John_Perkowski

I saw in Trains that even the Grand Canyon RR is suspending steam account fuel prices. Frankly, preservation is a luxury of a good economy :( Of course, in the Grand Canyon's case... it's about to go under Philip Anschutz. There goes the neighborhood.
 #604590  by icgsteve

John_Perkowski wrote:I saw in Trains that even the Grand Canyon RR is suspending steam account fuel prices. Frankly, preservation is a luxury of a good economy :( Of course, in the Grand Canyon's case... it's about to go under Philip Anschutz. There goes the neighborhood.
BS, fuel prices are low. The problem is that folks are keeping a thigh grip on their wallets, event those who have money to spend. This is the worst possible time to be trying to unload GL assets.
 #618450  by John_Perkowski

The trainweb.org pages for AOE/GL (fan pages) say about 6 of the cars have real honest bids on them. With CRC/CRM also having locked the doors, the question will be who owns what? The bigger question, for the creditors, is will they hold on to the cars that are on rails, and wait until the economy turns to sell them, or will, as GBN thinks, simply consign the lot to a scrapper?
 #618529  by icgsteve

John_Perkowski wrote:The trainweb.org pages for AOE/GL (fan pages) say about 6 of the cars have real honest bids on them. With CRC/CRM also having locked the doors, the question will be who owns what? The bigger question, for the creditors, is will they hold on to the cars that are on rails, and wait until the economy turns to sell them, or will, as GBN thinks, simply consign the lot to a scrapper?
the six would be the dinners and the lounges. The sleepers have no value unless another company will try to do what has failed (3?) times already, the land cruise.