• Europe by rail

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

by Aero_rail_nut

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this but here it goes. My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon to europe, and we would like to hit up at least 3 cities Florence, Paris, and London. I heard about the RailPass from a few of my co-workers. Does anyone know anything about this deal, and if it is worth it? We would be in europe for 10 days spending about 3 days in each city. Does this railpass include travel on the TGV (which would be a personal raifanl highlight)?

Thanks for any insight.
  by Gilbert B Norman

It looks like a "good for go". Here is a paste from the Eurailpass website:

Seat Reservations and Overnight Travel

A pass allows the boarding of a train, bus, plane, or boat, but does not guarantee a seat. Seat reservations are optional for most trains but are mandatory for all TGV, Thalys, Cisalpino, AVE, ES* and X2000 trains and selected EuroCity and InterCity trains and for all sleepers and couchettes. Reservations are subject to availability so reserve in advance. Reservations for all seats, sleepers, couchettes and trains noted above are subject to an additional fee for pass and ticket holders. Seat reservations, sleepers and couchettes can normally be purchased from Rail Europe at the same time that you buy your pass. Use the special notes box on the Order Form to specify reservations when you book your pass. Travel on certain high-speed trains (such as the X2000 in Sweden, ES* in Italy, AVE in Spain, Thalys and Eurostar) require a supplement

And here is "the full monty":

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/eurailpass.htm

I haven't "been over" since 1990, but at that time, any of the high speed trains were "fair game" and apparently this remains the case today.

by David Benton

from memory , the additional fee to reserve a seat on the tgv , was around $ 5 USD .

by CarterB

Since it would appear that your train travel would only be two trips (London-Paris) and (Paris-Florence) you should compare the point to point ticket prices to the Eurailpass to see which is best. If you were, however, going to take side rail 'day trips' from any of the cities you visit, the railpass becomes even more of a bargain. Or you could buy for example the country pass (France-Italy) combo which also gives you a bonus fare reduction on the Eurostar to London.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passe ... y_pass.htm

by David Benton

Also if your under 26 , there used to be an oufit called interalpino , or something like that , that offered point to point tickets at reduced prices . you would also qaulify for a cheaper railpass too though , if under 26 .